Maya Performance on MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brien, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'll be getting a MBP (hopefully soon, darn you update cycles!) to run Maya 2009 (also coming soon) and was wondering how it runs on the current mid-range MBPs.

Is it 'fast'? Regarding current models, since we know nothing of the specs for the new ones: does the VRAM matter?

Since I hear it all the time: am I better off running it under Bootcamp? (Maya 64 is Win-only.)

Thanks in advance, I don't want to get a false sense of how this will run and be sorely disappointed.

P.S. - I think it's a given I'll have at least 4GB in the MBP.

2. cmclaughlan macrumors member

I'm a video game developer. I run Maya on my 2.4GHz 17inch MacBook Pro with 4gigs of RAM. (Actually runs better than the crappy ass PCs they give us at work)

Maya runs very well on OS X.

Here is an interesting article comparing Maya 8.5 on various platforms including OS X http://www.highend3d.com/articles/case_studies/26-1.html

And yes, more video memory will make a difference.

Colin

3. gremb macrumors newbie

my MBP RUNS AWFUL WITH MAYA 2010

Hello
    I just got a MBP 3.06ghz 4 gb RAM snow leopard I've just installed maya 2010 but it runs crappy
    even with an empty scene i create a sphere and rotate it and it takes a while to spin.
    I also can't find a way to enable the third mouse button with the magic mouse

I'm trying to become a game developer as well but i'm not quite sure where to start, can you help me out plz?

4. gremb macrumors newbie

my MBP RUNS AWFUL WITH MAYA 2010

Hello
    I just got a MBP 3.06ghz 4 gb RAM snow leopard I've just installed maya 2010 but it runs crappy
    even with an empty scene i create a sphere and rotate it and it takes a while to spin.
    I also can't find a way to enable the third mouse button with the magic mouse

I'm trying to become a game developer as well but i'm not quite sure where to start, can you help me out plz?

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I assume you're using dedicated graphics?

6. modular macrumors regular

you must be doing something wrong - or need more training. In my experience maya runs well on osx. I havent used it on windows in a while, so i can't really compare it, but i havent had issues running it on osx.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

does Maya run on snow leo? Thought I read somewhere that it didn't support it.