Maya render text alpha channel?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by qbert2, Apr 18, 2012.

1. qbert2 macrumors newbie

I need help rendering 3d text to an alpha channel (transparency). My video professor said to Render a 3D object without a background in alpha channel. This professor does not teach 3d animation just digital video skills. But I don't know how to to render it in alpha channel. Can anyone provide me how to or or good links. The text is in moving form.

2. qbert2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to do it but got lost because of the maya 2009 settings further got to it.

3. simsaladimbamba

I am not really comprehending your last post, but maybe go to CreativeCow and ask for more specific help there in the Maya sub-forum, mentioning your task and Maya version and where exactly you are stuck at.

If it would be Cinema 4D, I would be able to help quite easily, but so would a quick www search.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

What version of Maya are you using?

5. qbert2, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

qbert2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry it was late "I tried to do it but got lost because of the maya 2009 settings further got to it. "

I tried to do everything exactly within the video, but towards half through I got lost due to the appearance of Maya 2009. i currently have Maya 2012. Last night I was able to make my 3d text look sharp and strong. Before my 3d text looked very crappy like Playstation graphics. I'm not sure what it suppose to look like after I render it into a alpha channel, the final outcome. Yes, I did hear about Cinema4D being good, but I don't have that software yet.

I was messing around with maya render view and I noticed my logo had disappeared within the process altering settings and before that my text had a glow look eventhough I had no intention to do so.

I'll play with Maya later today.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you can post screen shots. It'll help us narrow down what is wrong.

7. psharp macrumors member

I don't totally understand what you are trying to do but I'm guessing You're trying to create a alpha mask for something else using 3D text?

If you're just trying to find the alpha channel of the object you rendered in the "render view" window there's a "alpha channel" box that will let you see the alpha channel. You should be able to export that.

That image is effected by the transparency of the object. (the darkness of the gray-white will vary depending on how transparent it is.)

[​IMG]

8. qbert2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all everything is working smoothly now.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Good to hear :)

There are a few of us on here that use Maya so don't hesitate to ask (include pictures next time though so we can help you easier :p )

Maya can be a pain to learn but its fairly enjoyable when it behaves once you get used to it ;)