Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Im thinking about buying a mac in Jan. before school starts up, but i have a couple of questions about the system and the nearest apple store is 2hr away from me. The mac im interested in is the iMac 27" i7, I like how simple the setup looks.
  1. What would be more faster and powerful for $2000 a iMac or a windows system?
  2. I know macs cant get a virus, but what about malware?
  3. I would also like to know for current mac owners what you dont like about the mac(if there's any).
  4. And for any recent iMac buyers, How do you like it?
Thanks

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Im thinking about buying a mac in Jan. before school starts up, but i have a couple of questions about the system and the nearest apple store is 2hr away from me. The mac im interested in is the iMac 27" i7, I like how simple the setup looks.

Awesome - I love being a Mac user, they're great computers, and they're more than just a pretty machine on a desk too. I'll answer your questions one at a time.

1. The biggest bang-for-your-buck is building your own Windows box, but all things considered, the i7 iMac is actually not a bad price for a computer with an awesome 27" display and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I could build a PC with comparable specs for probably 1200 bux, then add Windoze on top, and a display of equal calibre, and you're looking at a difference of a few hundred bux.

[*]I know macs cant get a virus, but what about malware?

I've never had a malware problem on a mac. Ever. I don't even think it's possible.

[*]I would also like to know for current mac owners what you dont like about the mac(if there's any).

Beautiful, simpler, stable, and exceptional function, with WONDERFUL software. Win 7 is a big step forward for MS, but it's still got SO many problems that complicate being a user of the OS... on a mac you generally don't even have to worry about stuff like that. There's no WORK involved in being a user. Or rather, far less.

[*]And for any recent iMac buyers, How do you like it?

Love my new i7 iMac, save for the few issues it has - yellow tinge screen and a bad speaker. But I'm getting it replaced with a new machine - I'm not really worried about it - they're really fantastic machines.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
As said, the Windows machine would be better if you built it yourself. but then you would need external cam, mic, bluetooth etc, which I prefer it all inside my system. And a 27" IPS screen isn't exactly cheap. There are a few trojans for the Mac, but not much else. The only problem with Mac's is that there isn't enough games, but it doesn't take long to boot into Windows to have a couple games of Counter Strike or something.

09iMac=Fail

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
If you like the clean and simplistic look of the iMac, go for it, there is not much that is comparable in the PC world. Plus, the i7's are smoking machines. They are comparable to the current line of Mac Pros in processor speeds. I am hoping to pick up an iMac soon myself.

I've only been using Macs for about 2-3 years. I don't have any complaints. I enjoy not having to do virus maintenance. Even though I have only been stuck with 2 viruses in the last 10 years, it SUCKS.

Are you going away to college? What are you studying? Will this be your only machine?

Faster and more powerful? The answer will always be a home built PC, but there are so many other things to consider. You can't build an iMac at home! :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
  1. I know macs cant get a virus, but what about malware?

Just to clear this up, it's almost impossible for Windows to get a virus these days too. Mostly it's spyware, malware, and the like, combined with social engineering to get users to install the bad programs.

What I don't like the mac? Finder. I abhor finder. I also dislike the fact that there's no file cut, or taskbar - after a few years of OS X, I still find the windows taskbar to be more intuitive. Dashboard beats Windows Desktop Gadgets hands down though.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Just to clear this up, it's almost impossible for Windows to get a virus these days too. Mostly it's spyware, malware, and the like, combined with social engineering to get users to install the bad programs.

What I don't like the mac? Finder. I abhor finder. I also dislike the fact that there's no file cut, or taskbar - after a few years of OS X, I still find the windows taskbar to be more intuitive. Dashboard beats Windows Desktop Gadgets hands down though.

you can get a taskbar for the mac if you want just search google.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005

While I've heard a couple people hate on the Finder, they're in a minority. An even GREATER minority are those who dislike the Dock and think the Windows Task Bar is superior. I'm in neither of these minorities, and have used both OSs plenty. It can be difficult to switch if you're 60 and set in your ways, but I'm 29 and adaptable, and have had no such trouble going between Mac and Windows. OSX is far more logical and straightforward in its entire design.

While the GUI in Windows 7 is LITERALLY transparent, the nice thing about OSX is the Operating System itself is FIGURATIVELY transparent, something that is ultimately far more important.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
There are a few trojans for the Mac, but not much else. The only problem with Mac's is that there isn't enough games, but it doesn't take long to boot into Windows to have a couple games of Counter Strike or something.

Is there any software to prevent trojan's or spyware for mac? also to boot into windows do you have to buy windows and put on it?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Is there any software to prevent trojan's or spyware for mac? also to boot into windows do you have to buy windows and put on it?

You most likely won't get a Trojan, just a few torrents have it, I think an iWork 09 torrent had a Trojan? So don't bother about any anti virus or anything. Boot Camp basically turns your Mac into Windows while you use it, so yes, you need Windows. I just used an old XP disc lying around.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
And a 27" IPS screen isn't exactly cheap.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not even available outside the iMac.

Here's some intriguing info on the iMac screen's value...

The more I think and learn about the curious pricing of the 27” iMac, the more bizarre and incredible it seems.

It has a resolution of 2560x1440, which no other monitor in the industry seems to have (that I can find). 30” LCDs are the same width but 1600 tall. Shrinking 2560-wide into a screen that’s 3” smaller diagonally yields an impressive pixel density, especially given the panel’s still-immense size.

It has an IPS panel. IPS is the best and most expensive LCD type, giving the best viewing angle and the least color- and brightness-shifting as the angle increases in any direction. Nearly every panel on the market, including every laptop panel, is the cheap TN type. (TN panels wash out as soon as you move your head slightly, especially vertically, which is why it’s so hard to find a good viewing angle for your laptop lid while watching a dark movie.) Other 27” TN panels exist (only at the lower 1920x1080 resolution), but I can’t find any other 27” IPS panels.

It’s also LED-backlit.

So it’s a very high-specced, brand new panel that’s apparently not being mass-produced yet (since no other monitors for sale are using it). That must be expensive. How much of the base 27” iMac’s $1700 retail cost does this represent?

The closest existing panel for comparison, spec-wise, is the 30” IPS panel that Apple uses in their Cinema Display. It has the ultra-high resolution and size, but doesn’t compete with the 27” iMac’s panel for brightness, contrast, power efficiency, or color range. It’s overpriced by today’s standards at $1800, but not by much — Dell’s original 30” monitor with the same panel is $1200, and a newer version with better specs (although still not as good as the new iMac’s) is $1700.

A standalone monitor with the new iMac’s panel would be perfectly reasonably priced at about $1500. From Dell. Apple’s only charging $200 more than that for theirs, and there’s an entire high-end computer stuck to the back of it.

When they mentioned on last week’s quarterly earnings call that they expected lower profit margins for a new product, I don’t think anyone expected a change of this magnitude. How are they making anything — or even not losing money — with the base-model 27” iMac?

My guess: a massively successful negotiation with the panel’s manufacturer (most likely LG) to get not only an incredible price on these panels, but also apparent exclusivity for a while. It’s a hell of an accomplishment, and presumably a hell of an effort, for a computer that isn’t Apple’s most-selling model (or even product line). That raises a more interesting question: Why?

Until we know why the panel is so cheap, I bet we’re going to see a lot of Mac Pro owners buying 27” monitors for $1700 and trying to figure out what to do with the free computer stuck to the back. For new-computer shopping, a lot of people are going to abandon whichever laptop or Mac Pro they were considering and get this instead.

That helps answer the “why” question: Maybe Apple wants to push more buyers away from today’s default system-type choice — laptops — and show them why they should consider getting a fast, spacious desktop instead. And, for the time being, it’s a desktop with absolutely no equivalent in the PC world.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
  3. I would also like to know for current mac owners what you dont like about the mac(if there's any).
Thanks

This is mac rumors - MAC - so Apple fans are more likely to come here and reply to you..

I like windows 7 and osx equally.

the best way to find out is to go and test them thoroughly, do you have a friend that has a mac? I loan my mac mini to my friends so they can decide if they want to convert.

Windows is better for - MSN messenger with video and gaming

os x is better for almost everything else haha!

It really is personal preference.

I have lots of macs, most of them have bootcamp and run windows xp or 7, I wouldn't pay for most of the macs i have, so i'm lucky i bought them broken and fixed them - hardware wise, they are overpriced

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Software

We really need more information on what you want to do with the computer. If you're surfing the net and word processing, then anything with an SSD drive is the best bang for your buck. If you're video editing, then Final Cut Pro or Avid are your choices. How much is the software as a student?

You can't compare machines directly without considering what the hell you'll be doing with them. Either one will run all of your basics really well. The 27" imAc screen is amazing, though some people have had problems (check the forums) Also, why do you want that much screen real estate?

Thanks

DRATM

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
To be succinct as possible:

1. For two grand, you could build up a higher-specced Windows machine, but you would lose out on the 27" monitor. A screen of nearly equal quality in addition to the machine itself would put you over $2,000 at this point in time.

2. Exercise basic web-street-smarts, don't be stupid, and you need not worry about malware and the like. Much less so than on a Windows OS, at least.

3. I'm not a fan of very limited upgradability, and the lack of much higher-end video cards in the iMac lineup. But that's all.

4. I love my 24" 3.06 iMac. It is a truly excellent machine.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007

You would have to buy and of course install Windows XP, Vista, or 7 depending on the flavor you prefer. You will also have to get bootcamp, VMWare, or parallels too to have a dual OS system on your new iMac.

Hope this helps.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
You would have to buy and of course install Windows XP, Vista, or 7 depending on the flavor you prefer. You will also have to get bootcamp, VMWare, or parallels too to have a dual OS system on your new iMac.

Hope this helps.

Would running dual OS affect performance? Also how big of a performance difference is there between an i5 & i7?

BelowTheBelt

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009

I am using Kaspersky for the Mac, some people feel very strongly that Macs do not need this type of protection, and I will agree somewhat with them on that.

But the day is coming when the Mac will no longer fly so under the radar.

Kaspersky as of right now on my iMac i7 has been running for two weeks with no restart, the system resources it's using are shown here.
screenhl.png

It's pretty light weight & it's also been catching the odd thing coming though mail that could harm my Windows counterparts & it's fast.

It's something to look into just the same if you are concerned.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I also dislike the fact that there's no file cut

+1

Since about a month I switched from PC to Mac. I like a lot about Apple, but file cut is something I really miss from Windows.

But there's is an awful lot to like about Apple though :) For instance, scrolling with the new mouse is just great.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona

While I've heard a couple people hate on the Finder, they're in a minority. An even GREATER minority are those who dislike the Dock and think the Windows Task Bar is superior.

IMO, OS X is far superior to Windows of any flavor. Win7 has come a long way though, but the registry will be the downfall.

That being said, I'm another who abhors Finder. One piss poor application, and Windows Explorer kicks Finder's ass. I'm up in the air between OSX's Dock and Window's Task Bar. Neither are real impressive.

Dr. Unk

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks

Hey man, I was exactly in the same boat as you are a month ago. Here's why I switched over.

1. The Imac is better bang for the buck in my opinion. Building a windows desktop with similar specs we'll put you back to nearly the same price (as it's been mentioned on here). Plus, you need more room. Also, Macs have a great Care plan. Basically, if you buy Applecare and break the Imac within 3 years, you get a new one. I couldn't seem to get any kind of warranty anywhere near this if I was building a desktop.

2. While windows 7 was a big step over Vista, my version still crashed. When I first got 7 I didn't think I was going to switch to Mac. A few weeks later, everything went downhill and now my computer if running extremely poorly, it has multiple software issues and hardware issues. Surprise, my warranty is already expired.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Do programs on the mac ever get the "program not responding" error like windows?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Do programs on the mac ever get the "program not responding" error like windows?

Very, very rarely (can't remember the last time it happened to me). But the good thing is, if you force quit an app, it closes immediately, none of this waiting around like you have to do in Windows.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I'm not to sure about this, but I think I heard something about flash players or something not working well? Idk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.