Maybe a redundant question re: Gevey SIM Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AlvinNguyen, May 13, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm running a Verizon 4s jailbroken at 5.0.1 - I was wondering if I use the Gevey Ultra if I can pop in an AT&T sim? I'm planning on using StraightTalk's AT&T Microsim and say bye to Verizon.

If it works it would save me the time from having to buy a new AT&T phone and selling the verizon.

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken if you have had the 4S for more than two months and your account is in good standing, you can call Verizon and they'll unlock it for you.

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but they won't unlock it for use with US GSM carriers

4. CyBeRino, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Unlocked is unlocked, it won't matter. Just pretend you're going on a long trip.

Unless what they're doing isn't a true unlock.

Oh and I don't know how that'll work with being in the US and having a CDMA network around-- it might take precedence?

Edit: the internet has told me that indeed, Verizon are slimey motherfu​ckers and don't do a true unlock on their phones.

That said, there's no harm in doing it so you can use it outside the US without issue. In the US you'll need one of those Gevey SIM trickeries. You'll need one that fakes a Verizon SIM though.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nope, Sprint and Verizon only unlock for international carriers, not US carriers.
    Look into full Gevey sim unlock for CMDA phones

6. daooof macrumors regular

What dhlizard said is correct. You can get GSM+CDMA adapters from Gevey that will work with a CDMA-locked 4S (such as Verizon or Sprint). Give me a PM and I can hook you up with a discount.