Maybe an ARM MacBook isn't so farfetched

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KPOM, Dec 8, 2016.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Apple already has OS X running on ARM. They did the same with x86/x64 for years before their products actually switched over.

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I'd be SHOCKED if they haven't had it running for a while now. I'll be we'll see the MacBook ditch the m series processors around 2018-19 as the first for the Arm chips. MBP's would be harder to do, but a MB 12" with an Apple Arm....YES, YES, YES

4. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I agree. As powerful as the A series chips are becoming, and as energy efficient as they are, I would LOVE to see a low power MacBook with an Apple designed ARM chip.

5. evec macrumors regular

Many people thing the ARM should be cheap and energy saving that Intel x86,
    sorry this is wrong.

6. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Can you elaborate?

7. evec macrumors regular

This is because ARM for IPAD is designed for light task for web browsing, sample graphic and causal video editing, all those function can be help by DSP which Apple custom design, so benchmark is good, price can be low however if outside scope, the performance of Apple CPU will be very low, there no problem for IPAD or IPHONE because no people use those for real complex task, the user behavior will highly controlled by Apple in IOS.

In OSX, user want more flexible and full desktop behavior like working for programming, run custom filter in Photoshop....., use for complex sound process, which the Intel CPU is designed for powerful APU with very flexible instructions set for more general computer.
    If Apple want use ARM, at least Apple need increase the die side to add more function in the chip, and this will increase the cost.

Change CPU from Intel to ARM will not reduce power usage so much, this is because
    Intel and ARM CPU for light task both are very power efficiency just use one to few watt, the external devices such as memory, ssd and display will affect the running time so much.

Also, Intel provide full laptop solution (the cost will share by all PC company), if Apple make their Laptop/Desktop Class ARM CPU,
    Apple need huge of human resource for re-design circuit and ARM company will not help so much because they lack of experiments working on this.

I don't thing use of ARM CPU can reduce the cost of MacBook so much, IPAD pro is not cheap device, don't thing ARM can be cheap. The Intel device can be very cheap such as <100 dollar ATOM tablet.

8. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

iOS devices can edit 4k video though. The only reason they can't do more is because no one writes pro software for tablets. The CPUs are capable.

9. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

So if Apple released an ARM CPU MacBook with an ARM version of MacOS would all current x86 software run without any re-writes for ARM?

Would any MacOS updates work on both x86 and ARM versions of the OS or would Apple need two separate departments to develop for both?

Would hardware manufactures have to supply two versions (x86 and ARM) of their MacOS drivers?

Unless the ARM MacBook was 100% hardware and software compatible with the rest of the Mac line up I can't see Apple doing it.

10. evec macrumors regular

It is relative easy of compile ARM versions of OSX (just run) but hard to optimum.

The software should need complied another time to provide ARM version of software.

Yes, Apple also need to develop new MacOS drivers and SMC/EFI (BIOS) system for ARM machine.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Where would ARM based leave Windows users? And Apps already running on OSx would need to be recompiled to run on ARM.

Plus an ARM would probably be enough to drive more users back to Windows. Lots of developers would not want to have to go back and create another version of their software.

12. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Thats what I was thinking.

As technically it could be possible I can't see any manufacturer releasing a laptop that is incompatible with the rest of their laptop/desktop line up and would increase development cost by needing 2 versions of OS etc.

13. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio