Maybe buying a MAC..Need help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kev5890, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Kev5890 macrumors newbie

I stumbled over this forum while looking at Macs, and I figured I would stop by and ask peoples opinions on some Mac issues. I was hoping you guys could help with my MAC search. So here it goes, I need a Laptop for College, and I am leaning towards a MAC. I have always gotten a PC, but I think it is time for change. One of the things that is most important to me is the bogging down of a PC. I have a decent PC, and it bogs down when I have applications like the internet and Photoshop running..So here are my questions:

What Mac can I get in 4 months that will be under 1000 dollars?
    How do I transfer music from my PC to the Mac? Can I just put all my songs on a CD and load them onto the Mac?
    How do I transfer Adobe Photoshop over to my Mac?
    Do I have to use a Apple wireless mouse, or can I use my logitech mouse?

All I will be doing is playing music, typing papers, going online, watching videos, and using photoshop. I only want a Mac if it is under 1,000 dollars. Because I really cannot spent that much money, and Laptops are a lot cheaper than Macs.

Hopefully the Macbook is under 1,000 at the start of June..Thanks for the help! ( I know the Macbook is almost 1,000 right now..Anyone with a rough estimate of what it will be in 4 months?)

Also is there a refurbished Mac site around??

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

There is a refurbish store on Apple's website..in the store.

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

To move the music, you can use an external HD or use the library backup function right in iTunes. Come to think of it, I believe you can use your iPod, too.

As far as Photoshop goes, your current Windows version will obviously not be Mac compatible. You will have to call Adobe and tell you them you would like to do a licensing cross grade on your software. They will have you print out an agreement to destroy your current software. After you send it back to them, they'll send you the Mac version of your software.

Your Logitech mouse will work fine, most likely. Check the Logitech site for drivers. (Unless of course it is Bluetooth)

My guess is the Macbook won't drop in price. Your best bet is to buy from the Apple Refurbished Store.. Their stuff is usually top notch condition.