Maybe Dev-Team should release JB after supposed recall??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wanzer, Jul 13, 2010.

1. wanzer macrumors member

There's some talk about a possible recall by Apple for the iPhone 4, according to the front page news and other sites/blogs. Although it's pure speculation that Apple will actually do so (let's face it, Jobs will likely stay defiant 'til the end), I can still picture it happening, especially if the new JB comes out before then. It would be their chance to recall millions of iPhone 4's, reflash those units with a possible 4.0.2 or whatever it is after the "signal bar display fix", thereby plugging the exploit.

I know people who are desperate for the JB would be pissed to no end, especially those that knew better than to try to update to 4.0 but "accidentally" did anyway (I'm looking at you Arisian :)), but I think it would be in everyone's best interest to release the JB after the ENTIRE antenna issue is resolved, with Apple clearly detailing what they are or aren't going to do about it in some definitive way. It would be a shame if the JB was released, only to see Apple recalling the iPhone 4 the very next day and reflashing with new firmware to fix the exploit. JB or not, people would return their iPhones if that meant no more antenna/signal issues (at the expense of their JB). If I had an iPhone 4 I knew I would.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

well why don't you go on twitter and twitter @comex @musclenerd and tell them your idea. Maybe you can persuade them. you guys still don't get that just because @planetbeing showed he was unlocked on a I4. This does not mean a finished and polished jb/ul tool! ;)

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Never gonna happen, worst case is Apple would provide "bumper" or a case for everyone, but they have already stated they will not even do this.

They don't need to, iPhone 4 iDevices are still selling like hotcakes.

4. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Full recall is an absolute last-resort. Do you know how much money they would lose? I'm sure Apple will release their "software fix" :rolleyes: first to see if that's enough to appease the masses.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If they believed that it could be fixed software (IE formula for calculating signal strength) 4.0.1 would already be out. If it's something more then just the formula then yeah I can see it taking this long. I just hope a mail/exchange fix is in there..

6. agtprvctr macrumors newbie

Do you know how much money they have? at $227bn market cap and $40bn free cash they will not feel the pinch. Assuming they've sold 5 million units so far, and assuming the estimates are right that each iPhone 4 costs $188 to make, that's a $940mm bill, which divided by the 910mm shares outstanding comes out to about $1.03 per share; given the current share price of $252.60, that'd be a 0.4% drop in their stock price. Also add in the fact they've been holding off on manufacturing the white version (probably until they decide whether to recall), I can't imagine they'd suffer much.

I think the problem with recall isn't about the money but rather having to admit they royally screwed up the design and didn't properly test before release. At this point though, the cat is way out of the bag. Their plan to fool everyone with a software update is no longer viable thanks to Consumer Reports directly calling them out on that lie. At this point they will destroy their reputation and customer good will if they do anything short of amazing to fix this mess.

Disclaimer: I have an iPhone 4 myself but I'm no Apple fanboy. I bought the phone b/c I thought it the best smartphone available sans the antenna problem, and I'm hoping that Apple will do the right thing here before I have to jump to Android on principle.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

well put, sir!

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think that they will quietly start adding a transparent insulating plastic coating to the bezel on new phones, release their new signal update, and quietly replace phones for the worst complainers (never admitting that it's a design flaw, but blaming unrelated defects).

9. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

Something like that, I agree. This is a problem that can be fixed with a bumper, they're much more likely to hand out one of those than go through an actual recall. As it is, it depresses me that everyone keeps screaming what a dog the phone is, it makes me wonder if I should take it back. On the other hand, I ALWAYS use a case on a phone, and haven't seen any of the signal issues. I really should just ****. :) It's painfull just trying to navigate through the sloooow 3G.

10. still in school macrumors 6502

that's actually not a bad idea

11. wanzer thread starter macrumors member

Where does it say in my post that I was referring at all to the unlock shown by planetbeing?? And neither was I implying that they had anything ready, either. Seriously please read.

If handing out bumpers were truly the "worst case" I would really doubt Apple is holding a press conference tomorrow just to announce they were handing out bumpers. But we'll see, I certainly wouldn't want to jump to conclusions or anything...

That is a logical fallacy. The rationale behind the recalling of a product, whether it be the iPhone or a Toyota, has NOTHING to do with its sales.

There is no doubt that there is something wrong with the antenna on the iPhone 4. There is no software fix possible according the vast majority of reports on the web, as this is a hardware issue. I don't feel a bumper or case fix is adequate as there are plenty of people who would want to use this phone without a case, or with just film protectors, myself included. I had the iPhone 4 the day before launch but when I learned about the faulty antenna and proximity sensor issues I quickly sold it to some guy on CL in hopes I would be able to rebuy a later revision that would hopefully iron out the initial hardware bugs.

I am sticking to my original post. If Apple does decide to recall, I can really see the Dev-Team holding onto the JB tools until most of this crap has cleared up, unless they don't care about the people who have an iPhone 4 already, then by all means, release the JB tomorrow, it won't matter to me either way.

12. wanzer thread starter macrumors member

Of course full recall is a last resort, but besides giving out cases and bumpers there is no other way Apple can fix this without a recall. I didn't make up the rumors of the recall, it was plastered all over the front page news, engadget, etc.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple has no plans for iPhone 4 recall - report

By AppleInsider Staff
    Published: 06:00 PM EST

Although Apple has called a press conference tomorrow to discuss well-documented problems with the iPhone 4's antenna and reception, a new report claims that a recall of the handset won't be among the announcements.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I think this is very possible. However, one of the longer terms effects of this strategy is the effect on the used market. No one is going to want to buy used IP4 from the initial 5 Million already sold when they can buy one of the fixed ones with the plastic coating. There are going to be a lot of unhappy early adopters who cannot sell their phone or getting much lower prices for them in 12 months time. One of the very positive things about the Iphone is the resale value possible on used phones.

15. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I don't think it would really cost apple that much to do a voluntary recall, especially if they decide to keep this form untill 2012, then they can just swap them out with the new one, and fix the issue with the early models and resell them, or update them for 2011 sales. It would cost them money, yes, but not a huge amount considering, and would increase buyer confidence, which could be worth more than money in some ways.

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Tried to use a known method for going from 3.1.3 jb'd on spirit to 4.0 jb on 3gs - obviously I messed it up - in that sense it was an accident, but In another sense I knew the risk and eff'd up. You'll be hard pressed to find me complaining about it, because I haven't.

17. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I agree w/ this assertion. I think that it's a much better solution for Apple than a complete recall (Had to avoid saying Total Recall there). Unfortunately, over the years it seems like Apple subscribes to the school of thought that if you never admit it there never was a problem... but then go fix it quietly. Anyone remember when the first iTouch had that horrible screen issue?

There have already be reports of a clear coat being applied to the antennas as well as unconfirmed reports that they are adding an 'internal bumper' to try and insulate the antennas.

18. wanzer thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure Apple won't be using the word "recall" - since it has negative connotations such that it usually implies some type of danger or hazard associated with whatever is being recalled. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that Apple might allow some sort of voluntary exchange (as rooftop mentioned) for a plastic insulated iphone 4 if you are not completely satisfied with their fake software fix or the false "reassurances" that there's nothing wrong with the antenna, most likely coming from the press conference tomorrow. They could have a recall without calling it a "recall".

The worst part of this, however, is how Apple handled the entire situation. They obviously could care less about its users, evidenced by Job's emails of how "there's nothing with the phone, we're just holding it wrong" BS, and they furthered it by falsely claiming that those emails didn't come from Jobs (even though they most likely did). They failed to acknowledge the problem immediately and appropriately, instead they began deleting posts and threads that have anything to do with Consumer Reports findings in their own forums. They are only (finally) holding the press conference tomorrow in an attempt to end the bad press about the iphone 4, which undoubtedly has become the butt of jokes everywhere, after going through great lengths to either hide or deceive the public, hoping the problems will simply go away. This is unacceptable and shows Apple's lack of professionalism and ethics. If the bad press didn't hurt their bottom line they probably wouldn't give 2 sh*ts about holding a press conference and even less about the problems that users are experiencing, even if they knew the problems were legit (and they apparently do, as they unexplicably hired 3 antenna engineers literally days after gushing over their perfect new antenna design).

And to think, some people still defend them knowing this.

19. wanzer thread starter macrumors member

No I never said you ever complained about anything, but when I thought about the people I might be pissing off the most by raising the idea that the Dev-Team should delay the JB AFTER the antenna problems were resolved, your name came up first :D

Honestly though I think they should release it after 4.1 as well, knowing that it's right around the corner. What's another 2 months or so, right Arisian? :)

20. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Not sure why you think that pisses me off. lol - ok, it's their prerogative, not mine. I, like everyone else, want it sooner rather than later - but that certainly wouldn't piss me off.

21. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

the press conference will be interesting - I agree, the word recall probably won't be uttered. I think Apple's endgame is to somehow offer users the option to fix the problem... without admitting there is a problem.

I expect lots of vague phrases, generalizations, and verbal aerobics