Maybe I should go for the base model iMac (help)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I live in Brazil and I need to wait 3-4 weeks for the custumized model, and only a couple of weeks for base models, and it takes a week to replace a base model, 3 weeks to the customized model.

I've been reading people talking about dead/stuck pixel and other screen problens, and I wonder if maybe I should cancel my "custumized iMac" and order the standard 27" model

So far this are my specs:

Intel Core i7 quad core, 3,5GHz, Turbo Boost até 3,9GHz
    16GB de SDRAM DDR3, 1600MHz - 2X8GB
    Drive Fusion de 3TB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M com 4GB de GDDR5

This is what I would be going for:

Intel Core i5 quad core, 3,4GHz, Turbo Boost até 3,8GHz
    8GB de SDRAM DDR3, 1600MHz - 2X4GB
    Drive Serial ATA de 1TB, 7200 RPM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M com 2GB de GDDR5

I can live without the i7 and I can add extra RAM later, but GPU and Fusion are my main concerns.

Would I miss Fusion Drive?
    Is the GeForce GTX 775M performance similar to the 780M?

2. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

after owning a fusion drive i can never go back i hope this helps

3. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I just returned a Late 2012 (bought a refurb) for a new 2013 base model 27". Even though my Late 2012 refurb had a Fusion drive, I thought the newer CPU, ac wifi, and better video card were more of an advantage than just the Fusion drive alone.

I haven't done anything too disk intensive yet, but so far I'm enjoying the base model so far. :)

4. mrmarts, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

Your first customised order is the exact same as my order, however if you intend to save money by getting the base model I would at least update to fusion drive this will help boot up and read and write times, whilst reducing the burden from the memory. As for the Graphics card it depends on what you are going to use the iMac for , everyday tasks like surfing the web, and emailing you should be fine. But remember the graphics card cannot be changed after you received the computer so if you have intentions to use it for gaming and or multimedia it's best to go for 780m.