Maybe I should just get my iPod replaced =/

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kkatyboo, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Kkatyboo macrumors member

So with midterms coming up I wanted to get Ratatouille onto my ipod to watch if i finished early... so Ive tried multiple times. And one time it got REALLY CLOSE to finishing, but then stopped.

I think its a problem with my ipod because ratatouille went onto it PERFECTLY fine. ):

here are the errors im getting; my ipod is clearly plugged in
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd46/kkatyboo/ipodtoucherrors.jpg

Ive gotten these errors a few times with songs too... I am really upset.

And I have a question...
    If I take my ipod in to get a replacement, will they give me a refurbished one or a new one with the update and everything?

2. gowanis macrumors 6502

if it is determined that you truly have defective hardware (i'm not sure you do based on what you've said), you will likely get what they call a "warranty replacement." they will claim it is not a refurb. i think it is. either way, it will probably be an earlier serial number, which i have found to be riddled with defects. ask for a new retail box, and hopefully they will give you one.

3. steve.lawrence macrumors member

Have you tried a restore?

4. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

They'll give you a refurbished one.

I should note that I got the same error with my iPod video (on my mac), and I sent it back to Apple three times - it still wasn't fixed. Turns out there was a faulty file in my iTunes library - might be the same case for you.

5. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Ive tried restore. That caused more problems as to then my library wouldnt load onto my computer... so i had to retry many many times.

I think that Ive tried everything that you could possibly do. ):

And then it went onto my brother's ipod so EASILY . GR!

Ubuntu-- what did you do to fix it??

6. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

I just got my IPT replaced last week. my original IPOD was week, 39 the replacement is week 49. The representative told me that it is not refurb but might be factory remanufacturing whatever it means. I've got my replacement 1 day before 1.1.3 was released so I have to buy the upgrade.

7. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

does anyone know the return policy for the ipod touch? maybe i can return it and just buy a new one again or something... ??

8. sgtboy macrumors 6502

As much as i may not be taken seriously, this is an issue with Windows that apple has not done anything about. To the OP, if you try it on a friends computer, i will bet you my life savings it will work. It did this with my shuffle/nano/video (EXACT message) and the only way i could manage to fix it was to reformat the ipod and hit "Enable disk use" before it started syncing, although you cannot do this with the touch. Your ipod IS NOT defective, however i know of a working solution. Buy a USB 2.0 PCI card for your computer and i bet you everything that it will fix it.

Also if you dont mind, try erasing the ipod from the settings menu in the ipod itself

Edit: It is an issue with the ipod "mounting" into windows so that it can be written to in much the same way a USB thumb drive works. Either it does not fully mount or partially mounts and then is dismounted from windows (thus why it says cannot be read etc), I have had friends with the same issue and the USB PCI 2.0 card has fixed it on everyone's machine, they are fairly inexpensive and very easy to install into your PC.

9. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

ahhh DO I WISH I SAW THIS BEFORE...
    I just got an exchange for a brand spankin new ipod... HAHA.

10. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Ah i thought i had saved you with only 4 hours difference in our posts...does your new one work?

11. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

I thought it did... but Nope! It had the same error, but i eventually got all the songs on, but the album artwork did not go on. . . :mad:
    And my computer has that USB 2.0 thingy ma bob.. my dad checked. I think I am going to reinstall itunes, and if that does not work, I am moving all my music to another to another computer.

12. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Ok there might be some confusion. Any somewhat recent computer will have a USB 2.0 "card" built into the motherboard and thats where you plug your USB stuff into. However, you can install a seperate one that is not built into your motherboard that will fix the issue, but either way try a different computer and it will likely work.

13. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

HEY! I have another question... I am trying a different computer and I dont know how to transfer my movies and videos to that computer... Anybody know how? Thanks! :)

14. Kkatyboo thread starter macrumors member

15. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

If these two computers are on the network then you might have a share drive. If there is no share drive you need to use some kind of external drive. Copy media to external drive, then connect the drive to the second computer and copy to HD.

16. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Or to make it easy, go to your itunes on your PC and put a DVD in, hit file and hit Backup and then once its done put the DVD in the other PC