Maybe I understand why not bluray option

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Parental, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Parental macrumors member

I think that APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS NOT SUPPORT HDCP.BLURAY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH APPLR SCREEN.MAYBE when apple cinema will be update we will see bluray.

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Nah, they can certainly support it. As a side note, I still have a gut feeling we will see Blu Ray support (for MP) and ACD at the MWSF 08. I see Apple offering the Blu Ray with a big explanation (as to why they didn't release it with the MP's Tuesday). Gut feeling.

3. newtech macrumors 6502

Once again Blu-Ray is not a hardware problem, it is a DRM/software problem that needs to be addressed in DVDplayer.app and OS X.

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

This absolutely needed a new thread too, and couldn't have been added to the existing Bluray discussion.

5. gdieter macrumors member

"Nah, they can certainly support it. "

I don't recall reading anything about ACDs being HDCP compliant. If not implemented in HW, I don't think the current monitors will display true HD content with DRM protection. Any links to specs/docs to verify this?

6. newtech macrumors 6502

Apple is perfectly capable of doing HDCP in software for non compliant video cards, however it would open a can of worms with content providers/producers.

X1900XT is hardware compliant and the 2600HD and 8800GT as well, but require DVDplayer.app to support BD playback.

7. gdieter macrumors member

Agreed. Software decrypt would have the MPAA all up in arms. I'm really hoping for a new line of HDCP compliant ACDs next week. A nice 30" to dissuade me from looking at the new Dell 3008WFP.

8. qzak macrumors 6502

the bluray booth at CES had the logos of all the companies associated with them, and there was Apple and Dell both up there. there's a picture of it at Engadget.

i was just surprised to see it, since as far as i know Apple hasn't publicly announced their support for either format (even though, of course everyone knows which way they'll go.)