Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
USA
I ordered online last night, within 5 minutes of the store offering. Got a delivery date of march 18-25 for my iPad2.

Woke up and heard a report through Bloomberg that these shipping times may be legitimate, due to supply and shipping constraints. That Apple didn't want shipping to be the best way to get one this time, and instead wants people at stores. And the fact that there is so much supply going to Walmarts, Targets, BB, Verizon, and At&t means that it will be slower for shipping.

On the off chance that it could be a week or more, I just canceled my order this morning. I had not been charged yet and only got the confirmation email, by the time stamp, at 6am Mountain.

So I think it's clearer to me know what analysts have been saying...that supply may be limited a bit (as we were hearing in the weeks leading up to the launch), but also that Apple is putting their best supply into the hands of people at storefront locations.

Even if I wait until Monday or Tuesday and then just do a reservation or walk in there's a better chance of getting something that I don't have to wait a full week or two and watch shipping on.

So Apple set these rules, and I'll play by them. I'm just going to wait a day or two so I don't have to wait in line. But that's better than a week or more.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
USA
Well you took your chance. Either way, you'll get one eventually.

Yup. And I'm not too nervous about it or anything. However, part of the reason you order online is to avoid the hype and worry and etc that is generated by it all. I hate that stuff.

But staring at shipping for a week or two while others are getting them around you is the opposite of that. And frankly, it was hard enough going the last two weeks without an iPad. I use it every day for work.

I think Apple needs those lines and PR and the whole kit. I think their strategy is changing a bit, and this is an example of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.