Maybe made a mistake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by banclimber, Mar 21, 2012.

1. banclimber macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I might have made a mistake and bought the wrong macbook for my needs. I bought a 2009 pro 13" 2.26ghZ, that came upgraded with 8gb ram, and a 500gb HD. Now I'm realizing that the integrated graphics chip, the 9400m, is pretty fairly poor for games like battlefield 3. I'm wondering if maybe I should return this one, and grab a 2010 model, since it has the GT320m, dedicated. Is this a bad idea? I mean I'll probably only be playing BF2 and 3, and Call of Duty, but I don't want to run on super low settings. What do the pros think? Thanks a lot.

2. Bawsh macrumors newbie

Why get a Mac for games like that? They're pretty intensive.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Laptops in general aren't good gaming machines. If you want to run high-end games you should build yourself a gaming PC.

4. banclimber thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i know, but I don't need them to run like a PC. Just casual gaming on COD and Battlefield. I know I can run BF2 pretty dang well, I used to have like a 2007 model maybe? 2006? and it ran beautifully. So basically, is it worth my time to return this model and wait for a 2010 to ship out, just so I can play BF3? Can I even run BF3 on the one i have now? It has 8gb ram..

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It appears I've stumbled into a time distortion field.

All the posts in this thread are dated today yet you're waiting for a 2010 model to ship?

6. banclimber thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, should have clarified I purchased it on eBay.

7. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

The 320M on the 2010 is an integrated video card. Honestly I don't think that either the 2009 or 2010 13" have enough power to play a demanding game like BF3 on decent settings. You should either build a PC for gaming or get a newer MBP with at least a Radeon 6750M (maybe the 330M from the 2010 high-end 15" and 17" can run BF3 on medium but I don't know for sure).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned laptops are not the best candidate for gaming, and more so for the laptops that use integrated GPUs.

If you have the opportunity to return it, then I'd recommend a model that uses a discrete GPU, i.e., 15" MBP at the very least

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get an XBOX, they're on sale here in Toronto for $127

10. TheMacMania macrumors newbie

i agree - the best for gaming is a x-box, playstation, etc - you name it. on mac and pc the games always don't seem to be fluent or really fluent. for example some years ago i was a real settlers addict and even considered buying a new computer (not just for that but as well) when i finally got my computer i still couldn't get it to work on a laptop because it was so graphic intensive. so my recommendation is - get a game box...everything without the hassle. and for laptops - use them for less intensive games games :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a PS3 and that's what I use to play games. I agree that this is good advice :)

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Pity the eBay seller that's getting this back because the OP didn't know what he was buying.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if your stuck on having a macbook pro to play games which is obviously not the best choice, get a new 15" or 17" the graphic cards in those are the best available for a macbook pro

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its understandable but the seller is providing that service and the OP is realizing that particular laptop may not be the best suited for his needs, why not take advantage of what the seller is offering.

Many ebay sellers are regular retailers that use ebay as the method to handle the sale. This may be one of those.