Maybe made the wrong choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deliciousss, Jul 3, 2009.

1. deliciousss macrumors newbie

Well I recently purchased a new 15" MBP and I really like it a lot. I was considering the 13" but being the Apple store didn't have any at the moment, I settled on the 15". I am going to college soon and really just want a laptop that works efficiently and is portable. But as I browse through these forums, many people are saying how great the 13" and how it is not too bulky and what not. I feel like I may have made the wrong choice and wonder if I should try and somehow get the 13", even though I would have no idea how to go about doing that seeing as I just bought the 2.53 GHz MBP 15". Or will I be fine, I personally don't see the weight difference between the two systems to be that bad as everyone kinda says. Any suggestions?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You'll be fine. The 15" is a great computer, it's more what you need. As long as you find the 15" portable, then you are fine. Plus you get all the added extra features.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

If you like it then you've made the right decision :) Sometimes its wise not to read too much into some threads here - it can result in total confusion and unfounded regrets.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Don't look back... move forward

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. deliciousss thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I may be just a tad confused, what are the extra features exactly? I have been reading through on these forums and maybe the 13" has some display differences? I don't know though, I could be all wrong.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The screen size is sorta important. You also get a dedicated audio out port...

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Aww. Watch this: WWDC 2009: New 15 Inch Macbook Pro :) You've made a great choice.

As far as the screen - the MacBook Pro 15-inch has '60% greater color gamut'!

8. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

You made a fine choice

Don't have regrets. You are in college and having that extra 2" will come in handy. I go to graduate school part time and (I'm a teacher) and just recently got the 13"MBP going from a 15" Powerbook. I find the 13" to be great and I love it but I wish at times I had the 15" screen for doing presentations or even flipping between Word/keynote and a internet sources was just slightly easier on the 15" drag stuff around and not have to make the windows really small.

Enjoy it and enjoy college.

9. deliciousss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all. I am really pleased with my choice I just have a tendency to second guess myself when it comes to purchases like this.

10. EggrollShop macrumors member

Yeah the 15 inch is awesome. Don't get me wrong the 13 inch is great too but you get so many added features like everyone has said. I recently purchased my UMBP 15 incher and I was skeptical at first. I wanted a 17 inch because of the bigger screen but the deal on the 15 inch was too good to pass up. Anyway you made a good choice!!!!!!

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

It's all good! I'm like you too - and it took me a long time to decide on my choice (in my sig) but I did plenty of research and now I feel confident that I've made the right choice too. I squinted far too much at the 13-inch MBP. :eek:

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP made a great choice but the 13" also has the 60% greater color gamut. The 15" screen isn't any better than the 13".

13. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Wow this thread is almost my exact same situation.

I was seriouslly thinking of getting the 13" and then later getting an external monitor for big screen.

Then apple reorganized the line into all unibody pros, and they cut the price on the refurbished by a grand. And I was tempted into getting it.

I like it I really do, but it is just like any other computer to me. I am also disabled, I want to try to get back into doing art, but I am also in no hurry, and I did spend more than intended.

I called them tuesday and got my return authorization, but I haven't sent it off yet.

I am torn. I will loose 10% to restocking (it listed for $1450) plus shipping, but I also am not stuck with a laptop I just kind of felt nothing for.

I think I am either going to get the 13 and an external monitor (plus a free itouch) or possibly an Imac 24 ,and a netbook .

I just thought about it, and even though my old laptop is now 4 years old, it is still running, and I just jumped the gun thinking I was getting a deal that might dissapear .

So I may even wait some more.

I just felt like it was a brick, for a laptop, and If I am able to return to school, i just felt like it would be too mych for me to lug around.

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You are absolutely correct! I regretted getting the 2GHz Mac Mini because a handful of people got the 2.26Ghz and say its faster and I was just jealous. I eventually got over it and my 2GHz Mac Mini is the best computer I have ever owned! To the OP, the 15in MBP is a great computer, keep it.

15. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Never said that the 13-inch didn't have a 60% greater gamut screen, I was pointing out to the OP that the 15-inch MBP he has also got a screen upgrade.

This isn't a pissing contest between 13-inch and 15-inch owners, you know. :p

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP was just wondering if he made the right choice between the 13 and the 15". Your post suggests that the 15" has the better screen since you only mentioned the 15" having 60% better color gamut. What benefit would it be to me to prove that the 13" is better?

Good grief, noobs, they can't come here humble, they always have to start wars. It's to your advantage to be less rude, you'll need help at some point. :rolleyes:

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree completely. To the OP the 15" is an excellent computer - I have one - and I expect that you will end up really enjoying using it. Congratulations.

Lol, a very good point that may be needed to be made.

Cheers and good luck

18. hamis92 macrumors 6502

A year ago I sold my 13" MacBook and moved to a 15" MacBook Pro. At first the 15" seemed strangely large but over time I've got used to it and now I wouldn't switch back to smaller screen. For me this is the perfect balance between usability and portability.

19. suekitch macrumors regular

I've been raving about how awesome the 13" is for me personally and a huge part of that is because I have an iMac sitting on my desk waiting for me too. Without a desktop machine, I'd surely want a bigger laptop! :)

20. oYx macrumors regular

they're all great!

i have a 17" and i feel that the physical size is not that far off from the 15".

still, i sometimes wish i had gone for the 13" with an external screen, because of portability. however, having the 17" does make me think about how essential it is for me to bring it out for the day – especially when my school literally has heaps of mac pros all over the place. in my case, an 8gb usb stick has been doing the job very well. ironic as it may sound coming from a 17" owner, but i love the simple usb solution in having my work with me always.

when i do bring the 17" out and have to work intensively somewhere else, the extra display estate does make me feel more freed up in terms of how i can organise and view my work. also, it's probably just me, but working on a small screen always feels like i'm just working on something tentative. :)

but again, i think they are all great options. buying the 13" frees up some money to get a nice external display, and you know the 15" or 17" will always be a tidy all-in-one machine.

21. mls64 macrumors member

:eek:

22. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have all three machines whilst the 15" is great I mainly use my 17" and 13". The 13" is a perfect sofa and bedtime warrior. Battery life is super on both 17" and 13" models. The resolution on the 15" is a little more, but if I need more I just my 17" model.

23. Simon 5000 macrumors member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made my day!