Figured it out. Imported sim contacts.
No such simple import resolution here… It appears to be yet *another* iOS bug (11.2). Same cause though (had to sign out of iCloud to get Apple's buggered-up rollout of Pay Cash working). Same problem on both iPad & iPhone with iMessage (looks fine in Contacts, and under Phone). Bug persists across restarts, hard reboots, and signing in-and out of iCloud multiple times…
Sorry to pile on Apple, your hardware execution remains close to a top-notch 10/10, but your complex iOS and macOS integrated software stack has rapidly slipped to 4/10. Dumping Alpha software under rapid-turn "public Beta(s)", then pushing the 7th iteration out as a production-ready Release is quite misleading!
If unable or unwilling to complete a comprehensive cross-product integration/testing cycle before dumping to production, then perhaps a new release ring (eg: Alpha, Beta, Production, and YepWeActuallyTestedThisVersionForReals™) would help.
- The recent rounds of "Release" software has *not* been correctly/fully tested
- Your public beta data-collection is *not* working it's way into Release products
- Your customers are truly noticing (you should hear my kids reflections on iOS' quality)
- This *should* be embarrassing
- You *can* do better
- You are *not* doing better
- My confidence/trust in Apple's ability to safeguard/maintain our data has been undermined
- Apple remains firmly on the path to erode market position, confidence, and share
I have no doubt that there is a culture of care & pride in delivering tightly integrated products that excel at delivering interconnected functionality that Just Works. It shows. However, changes are needed to address this very public perception/reality of slipping Release quality.