Maybe moving soon? NO high speed internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IBradMac, May 21, 2010.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Recently my girl and I have been looking at a homes. There is this one house in particular we both really like and plan to make an offer.

One of the downsides is that there is no dsl or cable there. IOW, I would either have to have satellite internet or a network card. Most likely Verizon, which I am NOT thrilled about at all.

On my iPhone I get between 3 and 5 bars (Edge) anywhere on the property, which is nice because I will eliminate the need of a land line.

My question is; would the lack of high speed internet be a deal breaker for you?

I have *other options as far as real estate goes, but my other option doesn't have access to dsl or cable internet either.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Depending on the topography, check into wireless Internet access too. That's what I've got out here, and while it's not cheap (or particularly fast) it beats satellite. Ping times are routinely below 80ms, whereas satellite was up over 1000.

And no, I'd say it isn't a dealbreaker, if the place is worth it. We put up with 5 years of dialup to stay here. It depends a lot on your priorities.

3. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I'll admit, it would be painful to go back to dialup in two respects;

the fact that I would have to get a land line and where I currently live I get 12 mbps down. It's been nice.

I'll check into the wireless internet. May I ask- who is your provider?

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Talk to the neighbors. Find out how they do it.

I used to work near the middle of nowhere. And all of the farmers had gotten together, and had a company put a wireless solution in from silo to silo.

Pretty cool actually. One of them was running a business that brought in millions and employed dozens. They had a suite of servers, and no problem with the internet connection speed.

But don't try to game on it. You'll die. :D

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's a local company, they own a half dozen or so transmitters around here. Not likely to be much help to you unless you're moving to california's central coast area. It can be tough to find them, as you can imagine the number of hits you get when you type "wireless Internet service provider <your location>" into google. Most have nothing to do with the WAN part of the connection. Ask your new neighbors what they do.

It has to be the right setting too. It's line-of-sight, so if you don't have good views you're probably SOL, and will have to resort to satellite.

The biggest drawback to satellite is their data caps. Wild Blue has a daily cap, others have a monthly cap. If you exceed them, you might as well be on dialup. And they are highly asyncronous.

6. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I'll be honest, that would be a deal breaker for me, I could live without a land line and cable tv, but I need my high speed internet.:eek:

9. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I think we are axing that place anyways, and we are going to build.

Anyone here have any experience with this builder? Link

We looked at a couple of their model homes this weekend and talked about options and upgrades and have pretty much nailed everything down. We have access to the land and would build a nice place in the country.

One nice thing about where the vacant land is I get AT&T 3G service! :eek: