iPhone XS Maybe next year the Taptic Engine is perfected?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So. Back when I had my iPhone 7 Plus, every so often I’d get an audible click sound from the Taptic Engine when I’d e.g. invoke 3D Touch. Not often. Just once in a while. You’d only notice it in a quiet room, if you’re sensitive to noise etc.

I thought maybe it was just my phone, but my wife’s iPhone 7 was the same.

Then, last year I got the iPhone X, and the same issue persisted (still infrequently, but still...).

And now this year, with my iPhone XS Max, the same occasional issue where the click isn’t quite “right.” I’m surprised this is still a thing. Whether it’s software or hardware to blame, i don’t know. But it’s still there, and on my wife’s XS, too.

Anyone else notice the same?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Are you referring to the barely audible 'doot' sound it makes?
No, I'm referring to "click" sound, when it "messes up." I remember when the X came out there was an issue with this being audible due to a bug in iOS 11.something. This is like that, but FAR less often.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
No, I'm referring to "click" sound, when it "messes up." I remember when the X came out there was an issue with this being audible due to a bug in iOS 11.something. This is like that, but FAR less often.
When it messes up it two little jiga jig taptic vibrations... but no sounds. I think i remember the thread about the weird click it was making.... but i'm not experiencing anything like that. I do keep my phone in silent mode 24/7 though

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So. Back when I had my iPhone 7 Plus, every so often I’d get an audible click sound from the Taptic Engine when I’d e.g. invoke 3D Touch. Not often. Just once in a while. You’d only notice it in a quiet room, if you’re sensitive to noise etc.

I thought maybe it was just my phone, but my wife’s iPhone 7 was the same.

Then, last year I got the iPhone X, and the same issue persisted (still infrequently, but still...).

And now this year, with my iPhone XS Max, the same occasional issue where the click isn’t quite “right.” I’m surprised this is still a thing. Whether it’s software or hardware to blame, i don’t know. But it’s still there, and on my wife’s XS, too.

Anyone else notice the same?
Can't say I've come across that on my iPhone 7 (I generally turn off whatever feedback sounds/vibrations that I can).

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
When it messes up it two little jiga jig taptic vibrations... but no sounds. I think i remember the thread about the weird click it was making.... but i'm not experiencing anything like that. I do keep my phone in silent mode 24/7 though
My phone is on silent 24/7, too. It's definitely the weird click issue from last year that was "fixed." Just far, far less often, and not repeatable on command like it used to be.
[doublepost=1538889932][/doublepost]
Can't say I've come across that on my iPhone 7 (I generally turn off whatever feedback sounds/vibrations that I can).
I can't say for sure that it still does it on the iPhone 7 or not. I know it does on the X, and I know it does the same on the XS line.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I know what the OP is referring to. Once in a while, you get this more intermittent audible pop randomly, I think it’s software related from what I read in the past, but I don’t think it’s ever been identified if that was the true cause or not.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I know what the OP is referring to. Once in a while, you get this more intermittent audible pop randomly, I think it’s software related from what I read in the past, but I don’t think it’s ever been identified if that was the true cause or not.
Yep. Glad I'm not the only one who notices it. I'm just surprised so few people do.

Reactions: jtrue28

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I had a very similar issue when bringing up the control center on my old iPhone SE. You get an audible pop noise, even though the phone was on silent. Only happened once every so often though.

I think it was hardware though, as I bought another one which didn’t do it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I had a very similar issue when bringing up the control center on my old iPhone SE. You get an audible pop noise, even though the phone was on silent. Only happened once every so often though.

That's different. That's not a Taptic Engine in that phone.

MarcBook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
United Kingdom
I've noticed this behaviour since the iPhone 7 as well. My Max has done it maybe a couple of times since I got it, so I agree that it's less frequent but still around.

I think I read a theory once that it's something to do with the weight being in an unexpected position when the Taptic Engine fires, so it hits the side and makes the click sound. That might be a load of nonsense, but it would explain the odd sound it makes.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've noticed this behaviour since the iPhone 7 as well. My Max has done it maybe a couple of times since I got it, so I agree that it's less frequent but still around.

I think I read a theory once that it's something to do with the weight being in an unexpected position when the Taptic Engine fires, so it hits the side and makes the click sound. That might be a load of nonsense, but it would explain the odd sound it makes.
Interesting theory.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

Just for reference, the iPhone SE doesn’t use a taptic engine, it actually just uses a standard vibration motor, there really two different pieces of hardware.

Last edited: