Maybe someone can help me with my screw up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yourbuddy697, Aug 13, 2013.

1. yourbuddy697 macrumors newbie

First things first. I know the obvious when it comes to the consequences of trying to fix my mac by myself. My warranty is up anyways and this isn't my first time fixing my mac to simply, save a a lot of money. I had a ton of things wrong with it and I was successful in fixing/replacing everything until I go to replace the last thing (keyboard). I was successful with that as well but when I put my computer back together, another problem showed up. It wouldn't charge. I open it back up and sure enough, a wire in the dc was severed. I soldered it back together successfully and my computer started charging. Woohoo!....not even close. Now my backlight doesn't work. Chances are I fried the backlight fuse, didn't I? Or is it possible I didn't solder well enough so that the battery isnt holding enough volts for the backlight to even work. The screen flickers like its about to work when I turn it on which is why I am asking in hope of not getting my logic board repaired.

btw, I thought it was the display cable, it's not. I can see the display as good as i can see it on the lowest backlight setting possible. I also replaced the cable so im positive it's not that.

2. ukbilleh macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this will help or not but since the system has been apart would an SMC + PRAM reset help in this case. I would hazard a guess that based upon what you have done this has effected the backlight however I have been SMC + PRAM resets in the past bring it back

3. yourbuddy697 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The newer MBPs have a separate little PCB for the MagSafe port, so I suppose you have an older model. Nevertheless, considering the proximity of the MagSafe port and the display connector, it's highly likely that you messed something up. But it's also possible that it's just the display connector that's messed up.

My best advise would be to figure out how power reaches the backlight. If the connection is separate from the LCD display power, then that would be the point of fault.

EDIT: After rereading the last paragraph of your post, I would like to clarify that I mean that by display connector, I mean the connector on the logic board, not the cable itself.