iPad Maybe they call it the Air because it runs so cool!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dvboy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. dvboy macrumors regular

Just finished playing a few graphic intense games and the back of my air is as cool as it was when I started,never would have guessed that a thinner more powerful unit could run this cool:)

2. redman042 macrumors 68020

I suspected it would, because the battery in the Air is much smaller than the 3/4 yet has longer battery life. That means less energy draw, less heat, and faster recharges.

It's just a far better design all around.

3. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

Interesting, mine gets rather warm with gaming.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Its runs nicely at home with no heat issues but I was a bit concerned at the store. The demos were uncomfortably warm (though they were getting continuous and rigorous use of course).

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

So far mine is running perfectly without heat issues.

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I was messing about with my iPad air earlier and I wondered if it would heat up like the 3rd and 4th gens. I put the brightness to full and put infinity blade 3 on for a while and it stayed cool. The 3rd and 4th gens would have been fairly hot under the same tests.

7. C0SM0 macrumors member

My iPad Air was delivered today, and I wouldn't say it runs cool at all. While browsing the web on wifi, it gets warm in the lower right corner (beneath the volume buttons). And after about ten minutes of playing games, it gets really hot right below the volume buttons. It may even get slightly hotter than my iPad 3.

At first I thought it was normal, but after reading threads like this one, I'm not so sure.

Tomorrow I'll try a restore and see what happens.

Any thoughts? Is there anyone else out there with an iPad Air that gets hot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

8. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I actually prefer it warm over cold since I dislike touching cold metal in winter:apple:

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ice cool baby! This thing aint even breaking a sweat! :cool:

10. barryl85 macrumors regular

11. Shmanky macrumors regular

My iPad Air gets hot. I'm returning it. I know from my hot iPad 3 that trying to hold a device that gets hot is miserable.

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Mine is cool, so relieved after having a hot ipad 3 and 4. :) Haven't tried tethering yet though.

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah my old ones got hot running games but mine stays cool no matter how hard I push it. Just another good thing about this new design and the A7.

14. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

The air I had used to get warm with very light usage.

15. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

C'mon guys. If you're going to sit here and do comparisons then you have to have some controls. One of you might be on 40% brightness and the other at 100%. Your gaming results just went out the window.

16. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

It is amazing advantage, I remember year ago it was so many complains on ipad4 getting warm, not anymore! :)

17. C0SM0 macrumors member

I keep my brightness at about 30%, and 10 minutes of graphic intense games like Infinity Blade and my iPad Air gets hot. It doesn't really get hot on the back. Most of the back isn't too bad, it's the area next to the volume buttons that is hot.

18. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

my iPad 3 runs cooler than my friend's iPad Air doing the same tasks, so who knows.

my iPad 3 is a refurb so it likely doesn't suffer from the heat issues from the 1st product run units back in March 2012

19. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

If anyone likes fantasy third person action games, Wild Blood is a solid app. Looks pretty and the Air keeps cool.

20. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox