Maybe this is why WWDC wasn't so spectacular...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I just thought maybe there is more to this than we know :rolleyes:. Lets say, for example, that there are some really cool top secret features (nothing we know about yet) and they were meant to be included in the 10 shown features of leopard. Now, Microsoft has been holding their breath... just waiting to be blown away by WWDC. Their next plan is probably to copy cat and throw it into a service pack. Maybe the decision at apple was to take out a few of those amazing features and throw in some bogus things we already know about just so Microsoft has nothing major to copy. Now I'm sure Microsoft has just let out a sigh of relief... seeing as what we saw was great, but half of it was a repeat of last year's WWDC. So Apple will wait for the first service pack, and when the time is right (closer to Leopards release) they will unveil more. I think it's probable... maybe not likely, but probable :). I keep telling myself this is what happened :rolleyes:

Sorry if this was kinda random... lol

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. 66217 Guest

This is what I call the "Always-Hopeful-Apple-Fanatic"

But since hope is the last thing that dies, I would not tell you the truth about Leopard.:)

But I must accept it, I sometimes dream about something like this happening.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Yes, I do believe that there are some top top secret features in Leopard that Apple didn't want to show. A couple of them could be:an iTunes 7 scrollbar and theme through the entire system, multi-touch display support and dock cover-flow.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't think apple is too worried about Microsoft at this point to be honest. sure they'll take pokes at them, but its kinda expected that they'll do that. i just wonder if they were a bit too ambitious with leopard and are now trying to get everything worked out in time.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Took MS 5 years to come up with Vista. I doubt they would be able to toss in a new screen saver in the 4 months or so until Leopard is out.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think it would have been more of a success if apple hadn't shown so many of the same features it did a year ago. spaces, time machine, core animation and ichat were all the same. it really was like watching last year's keynote. we already knew about 64-bit being "top to bottom" and also about quick look. if there really are 300 new features, could it have been so hard to talk about ten completely new things? my biggest qualm with the keynote was the demo of the "all new" movies widget. seriously, we saw this years ago with watson sherlock.

i also think apple should have delayed their macbook pro release to coincide with wwdc, so nobody would complain about the lack of hardware updates.

8. cowm007 macrumors regular

Service packs don't normally add features. They correct underlying issues and major bugs. They're like the 10.4.x upgrades we receive. I wouldn't expect anything special from Vista SP1 aside from more stability/usability.

Btw, I hate it when people claim that Windows is better than OS X because you get free service packs instead of having to buy an OS upgrade every 2 years. You get SP's with OS X too, we just don't make a big deal about them.

9. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

XP SP2 added the "Security Center" or whatever the heck that thing is called. But then again, Windows security is more of a stability, usability thing.

10. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

There are no more secret supercool bonus features in Leopard, but I'll tell you what happened.

Apple has been so damn wrapped up in the iPhone they apparently decided to phone in the next Mac OS and pass up a big opportunity to blow away Vista. The gap between Leopard and Vista appears to be quite narrower than Tiger and XP. (well, aside from the general suckiness of Windows that just kind of lingers around it)

11. kcross macrumors member

vista competes with itself at this point. you could say it competes with xp, but that will end sometime not to long off.

microsoft couldn't care less about what apple does with osx as long as osx remains hardware locked. what does it matter for microsoft? pc's run windows, not osx. they aren't greatly impacted by a few "switchers". don't be fooled by the apple aura and media presence that there is real competition between osx and vista. don't for one second think billg is sitting around in redmond worrying about which positioning of the new dock makes it look "super fantastic" or "illuminous".

the keynote was lackluster because before every single mac conference people predict a revamp of the entire apple hardware line with the addition of new products and upgrades to the old ones, sweeping software and "cloud" changes, and the :apple:transporter. give them a break.

it's good that the community voices it's desires to apple (in the form of speculation) and i'm sure that they have taken a lot of it to heart. i think we all have seen that apple development, in large part, follows the interest of it's core market, even if it takes a while. however, it's counter-productive, and rather embarrassing at times, to hear apple and stevej blasted for not introducing fanciful new products every six months, and reading the "apple fans blast/hate steve jobs for the not announcing product X/becoming the messiah" immediately after every keynote.

but few have accused mac fans of being rational.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Ummmmmmm that's false

64-bit support (no need for a separate version)
    Revamped Dock and Finder
    Spotlight is much faster and pervasive with boolean search
    Ruby and Python along with improved Applscript.
    Quicklook is phenomenal
    QTKit and QT Capture comprise the nextgen media handling
    Resolution Independence
    Dedicated threads for UI rendering make everything responsive
    Improved support for multicore proces (nsoperationqueue, nsoperation)
    POSIX certification
    Vastly improved mail
    Vastly improved ical
    ZFS read support (write support likely coming in a point update
    Improved Time Machine with Spotlight and Quicklook support
    Improved Parental Controls

Not quite the "phone in" OS that you allude to.

13. kcross macrumors member

nuckinfutz: nice summary

many neglect that one of the biggest changes in osx 10.5 is going to be what developers are able to create with the new tools and features available to them. even apple isn't a one horse show.

one of the big problems with os development is that people want new features but they dont know what they want these new features to be (realistic ones). the os developers have to take a shot in the dark, so to speak, and come up with intersting and useful new features that people will adopt.

14. puuukeey macrumors 6502

I dig what your saying.

I would have appreciated a release that was aimed at developers more than what we've been presented with. I am suspicious about ruby etc though. apple brought on java to attract developers and then deprecated it.
    I don't know which parties fault it is but developers should be more willing to really rip apart the os x gui. with so much focus on apples crazy next gen features, you would think that someone OTHER than apple would come out and wow people on the mac.

I would love people to come up with more dock replacements and more finder replacements.

15. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Yes, because you have now seen the biggest of the new features. You gotta realize that such numbers - "300 new features" are meant to impress. And that out of those 300, maybe only 5-10 of them will be MAJOR - like BootCamp, CoreAnimation, 64-bit etc... The rest of those 300 features are minor changes and improvements here and there that you can't really justify talking about for 5 minutes each. "Oh, and yeah, you can now see the date, not just the weekday, in the title bar along with the clock" for example. If you expect 280-290 new super interesting features apart from the 10 mentioned at WWDC, you're going to be SO disappointed come October...