[Maybe] time to upgrade my MBP2010 hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xylian, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Xylian, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Xylian macrumors member

Hi,
    I'd like to have your opinion about the upgrade I'd like to do on my MBP, which is a mid-2010 15" Core i5 with 4 GB of ram and a 320GB [slow] 5400 rpm hdd.. I'd like to jump in the world of SSDs, but I can't fit my data in a small 128 GB hard drive, so I need to buy at least (and I would say also at most, due to the price) a 256 MB drive... I've seen the following hard drive, which seems to have a good price (less than 500 $) and very good performance: 256GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s (CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1)

These are my questions for you:
    1) Does any of you have this drive? Does it have the very high read/write performance that is reported on its official sheet?
    2) It should work at 3Gpbs on the SATA controller of my MBP, right? BTW it's not a problem since 3Gbps is surely higher than the throughput of the drive
    3) Am I right if I think that such an upgrade will bring my MBP to a new life? :)

I know that there is also an alternative solution: buy a small 64/128 GB SSD and use my 320 GB hdd in an optibay enclosure, but this would mean breaking my warranty...

Give me your opinions about this drive or other comparable (in price and performance) drives and also about the optibay solution..

Thank you very much for your help

EDIT: I've forgot to ask if OSX now fully support the TRIM command, to avoid the slow-down of the SSD driver which happened when the first SSDs without TRIM support came out.

2. Number 9 macrumors newbie

Answering only your #3 and edit:
    I just installed a 128 gb OWC SSD in a 2006 17" MBP and yes, it's changed the experience of using it from painful to surprisingly good for all the reasons you've probably read about.

It's been reported that OS X Lion coming out in the summer has TRIM support. I bought an OWC because it has a sandforce controller in it which accomplishes the same task. My SSD is too new to report any results except to say SSDs are impressive. Have you considered a small external drive to keep your data on instead of going for a larger SSD? Less convenient I recognise but cheaper.