Maybe We've Already Seen the 2nd Gen iPad Form Factor?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Patriot24, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My mom has decided that she no longer needs her 3rd Gen iPod Nano and dropped it off at my place so I can sell it on eBay for her. Upon inspecting it, I came to realize that the form factor of the device is almost exactly what has been rumored for the 2nd Gen iPad - flat back, tapered edges, etc. Just holding it in my hand, I could easily see this being the form factor of the iPad (slightly different materials for the back) if enlarged to the 10" form and a touchscreen was on the front:

[​IMG]

I don't think it would be a big surprise since it is pretty standard as far as Apple design goes these days. I guess I just feel like everyone is struggling to envision what it might look like with all of the CG mocks and such - maybe we've already seen it before in a familiar product?

Just an observation...

2. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I dont think anyone is struggling to envision the iPad2 form factor since it's already assumed (and revealed) that it's following the trend of the iPod Touch. Personally, i like the blockier more industrial look of the iPhone 4 and current iPad but in the end I dont really care since I keep the iPad in a portfolio-style case and will never see the back.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes, it was also the form factor of the first gen iPod touch. That design was replaced in the second generation and hasn't been altered since.

I can't really see the need to change the iPads form factor, all the CGI mockups with the same flat back and tapered edges look extremely outdated and just plain awful.

4. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

i think the only thing they will have in common is the apple logo in the back.

5. Patriot24 thread starter macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think the main difference I've seen between the mocks and the 3g Nano/1g Touch is that the tapering and corners appear to be more square than round. When I was looking at the Nano, the tapering looks much more natural and not quite as bold/noticeable.