MB 12" Retina vs. MBA 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wolfpackfan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Is it safe to say that when/if Apple brings out the 12" Retina MB that it will be appreciably more expensive than the MBA 11"? (I know duh!!)

Hoping to get an MBA 11" when the refresh takes place but would much rather have the 12" if not too much more expensive.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's hard to tell. So much time is passing with so many rumors floating around I think that most of us will be surprised to see what is actually announced.

My guess is that there will be an rMBA 12" announced. (I think that was one of the reasons why Microsoft may have "rushed" the Surface Pro 3 out a mere 7 months after the Pro 2 was announced)

The 12 will be the "flagship" MBA. The current 11 and 13 models probably won't see a refresh of any significance. (minor spec bump or 2) The 11 will stick around as the low price entry level model, ultra-portable, and to help support the higher price of the 12. (without the 11 there would be downward pressure to reduce the 12's price to the 11's spot.)

I can see the 13 fading out in favor of the rMBP 13.

Obviously this is all just my speculation.

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I agree with sracer. I think the 12" rMBA will replace the 13", while the 11" will stay about for a bit longer. I'd imagine the 12" will be slightly more than the 13" but only apple knows.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If I were to GUESS, I would say the 12 rMBA will eventually take the place of both the 11 and 13 MBA. To me, if Apple wanted to keep 2 sizes of MBA, they wouldn't have split the difference going with a 12(if the rumored 12 is true.)

As others stated, they make keep the 11 inch around for a while to have an entry price point of 800-900. If I were Apple, I would price the 11 inch base model at 799 and the 12 rMBA base model at 999. They would both sell like hotcakes.