MB 12in Retina 2015 Display/Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LCDurbin, Aug 6, 2017.

1. LCDurbin macrumors newbie

My screen started making intermittent distorted looks lines in the screen and would not work. Since then it has been fine with one thick white line across my toolbar at the top and very light white/gray lines the rest of the way down the screen and also a VERY high pitched annoying sound coming from the back left part where the display meets the base. Its not the speaker or the fan as I have tested both of those. So I took it to the Genius Bar and they told me that it was the display or logic board and that it would be $575 to fix it since the warranty expired 2 weeks before this happened. I am hesitant to fork over that kind of money for a near 3 year old laptop. Am I stuck in a pony up the $575, live with it or buy a new laptop situation? Any advice is much appreciated!

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

try at a different store or call the support. sometimes 1-2 weeks after warranty they still repair.
    if not check prices to sell as defect on ebay and buy a used one. I think this will come up cheaper than to pay $575...

I just did this once with an 2012 Air. Apple wanted 450€ for the display. And i just payed 560€ for a used 2013 unit with same storage and RAM. I sold defect for 380€. So 180€ and even having a newer model was not bad ;-)