MB, 13" 2,66GHz MBP or MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mkwd, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mkwd macrumors newbie

I need a little advise here. I currently have a 27" Core i7 iMac and a 12" PowerBook G4. I have always loved the PB because of its form factor and light weight, but obviously 8 years of age are seriously showing by now, so a replacement is due. Basically, the most CPU- and GPU-challenging tasks are performed at home on the Core i7 powerhouse, but the portable has to be able to do some basic photo and video editing, and also be able to virtualize Windows 7 for some specific windows-only programs (such as motorcycle fuel injection mapping programs) without hiccups. I have no experience with this last part on mac whatsoever, as my iMac runs OSX only, so I don't know if virtually running Windows is more demanding than natively.
    Each option seems to have its benefits: The MBA obviously is lightweight, but is it capable of performing the graphic tasks? The MB is cheap but heavier than even the 13"MBP and accepts no more than 4Gb RAM, and the MBP accepts up to 8 Gb RAM, and the backlit keyboard would be very welcome too.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Get the MBP.

MBA is outdated with a poor integrated graphics chip.

You already made a good comparison between the MB and MBP :p

3. DaveRobertson82 macrumors newbie

go with the mbp [​IMG] the backlit keyboard is reaally nice if you're like me and have your computer office as a little dark cave

4. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Go with the 2.4GHz MBP because the price difference to go up to 2.66GHz isn't worth it, and the money saved on that can be spent on 8GB RAM if you need it for a Windows VM.