MB 2,1 using parallels -- 4GB RAM OK

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by burningbright, Nov 13, 2010.

1. burningbright macrumors regular

Hello, I've got a 2,1, 2.0 GHz MB with 2GB RAM, and I'm thinking about adding more RAM. I believe the limit my machine can address is 3.0 GB, but I found a set of benchmarks that gave dramatic improvements with 4GB on a test running Photoshop CS3 and Parallels: http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/MacBook/Testing/Memory_Benchmarks

I'm just wondering why this is? If there is a virtual machine does it evade the 3GB limit, and if so, if I'm doing a lot of work in Windows on Parallels would it be worth going for the extra GB?

Cheers, BB

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

From your link:
    *MacBook Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz and 2.16GHz models are able to accept a matched pair of 2GB modules for 4.0GB total, but only fully utilize the first 3.0GB of installed memory. Even so, with these systems, there is some benefit to having the matched pair of 4.0GB installed

and from another article from their site:
    Read this

3. burningbright thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, though I read the link I posted--I wouldn't have posted a question if I could have answered it myself so easily! The quote doesn't mention my model and it's not a question of whether having matched 2GBs would give some benefit- in all but one of the tests there isn't a significant boost, for my purposes. I was just curious about why there was a massive difference on the test that included a virtual machine, and whether going for 4GB rather than 3 would be worth it specifically for VM use.. Hope I've made it clearer now!