MB + 24" Cinema or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cjro9, Mar 8, 2009.

1. cjro9 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a MB and a 24" Cinema LCD to go with it or just a MBP.

MB + Cinema = $2,498 after tax and student discount.
    MBP = $2,031 after tax and student discount.

I'm leaning towards the MB + Cinema just because how sweet that would look in my room =), but I want some opinions please.

My daily usage consists basically of music, aim, word processing, multiple browser windows, the OCCASIONAL game such as Fallout3, or an FPS, but thats like I said occasional. I like to mess around in PS nothing too serious tho, just make signatures and what not. I'm a fan of downloading music also, so whichever is the Mac OSX equivalent to Limewire will run every now and then.

Let me know what you guys think! I appreciate it greatly.

2. domcole macrumors regular

Sounds like the Macbook and the Cinema Display will suffice for your needs?

3. mik34 macrumors member

College has changed since I was there

Maybe I was just one of the poor kids, but college sure has changed if this is the debate nowadays. And I graduated in 2000.

I'd go for the cheaper of the two and use the extra money for beer. Then again, I love the cinema display.

4. snessiram macrumors member

I don't know too much about gaming but I think the new macbooks should do fine for occasional gaming. And the other tasks you mention don't seem to need that much power that it would justify going for the macbook pro for the added power.

I think the biggest factor for you will be the screen and weight when you're on the road (or not at your desk at least). The macbook pro has a higher resolution screen, better colors, better viewing angle,... It also has a firewire port which the aluminium macbook does not. These advantages however make the macbook pro heavier than the macbook.

When you mostly work at your desk, a 24" ACD will have a higher resolution, better colors and better viewing angles then a macbook pro. As the PPI is lower, everything on the screen will also be a little big bigger (physically), making it easier on the eyes. It is also nice to watch movies.

So unless you need a better screen than the regular macbook on the road, or need a firewire port, I would suggest going with the macbook + ACD combination. If you don't need the screen quality of the ACD you might want to look at competitors with lower priced screens.

Btw, the white macbook has a firewire port too, but if I'm right it's not compatible with the new 24" ACD.

5. cjro9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, college is still college and highly expensive. I'm a freshmen now, did my first year at a community school and figured out what I wanted to do. Saved a ton of money, and now I'm transferring and my parents are helping me treat myself to a nice dorm gift. =)

So you think the Alu Macbook will suffice my needs? I'll def upgrade the RAM and HD if I buy it.

6. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

not to Jack the OP's thread, but I would like to know more about the difference in screens between the Mb and MBP. I had to sell my 2007 MBP (matte screen) due to financial issues but will be in the hunt again in august or so...I don't necessarily need the power of the MBP but I have hear about the screens being different.....anyone?

P.S. I am having the same debate, MB+ACD or MBP.....like you I am leaning towards the MP+ACD

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Welcome to the OP. I would also suggest searching the forum for similar threads. I know this particular question has been asked at least a couple of times before. I'm not saying this to be unkind, but a lot of people chafe at newcomers asking the same questions over and over and won't respond with answers. In addition, a quick search would provide you with a lot of useful information RIGHT NOW instead of having to wait hours or days for answers to a new thread to trickle in.

Personally, I'd choose the MB and the 24", even though I'm not a fan of the MB's screen. In addition to being able to handle what you'd throw at it, it would also be a lot easier to lug around than the pro. I've had both machines, and while I love the pro's screen, it basically sits at my desk. I tend to not take it with me like I did the uni MB. You'd then be able to use the 24 ACD with whatever new machine you're likely to buy in a few years.

The 24" is a great monitor for the money. But you may be able to save you or your parents a few bucks by just getting an adapter if you've already got a good lcd sitting around the house, or can get your hands on a good screen cheap. Good luck with your decision.