MB+24inch screen OR MB+iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYU02, Dec 17, 2008.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

So I'm debating between these two options.

1) MB + 24inch apple screen

or

2) MB + Imac

If I get it with a screen I will add more memory and higher end. If I get an Imac I will get the lower end stock. The two issues that make me want an iMac is the hard drive at 7200rpm and the video card. Is the video card much much better in the iMac?

Thanks,
    NYU02

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The baseline iMac's 2400XT, and the 9400M in the iMac are pretty similar speeds.

The 24" screen is an amazing screen. Not just because of the extra 4" over the iMac, but because the screen is so much higher quality. It uses a far superior panel to the 20" iMac screen.

You can upgrade the Macbook yourself to a 7200rpm hard drive for cheap.

Its also worth it in my opinion to have all your stuff in one place.

3. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

the 7200 is not an option at apple.com. If i did something after I would get an ssd. Or is the apple ssd worth it?

4. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

You don't have to buy the HDD from apple. Buy the model you want and then get a bigger and faster drive from the internet. I got the 2.4 model and I replaced the HDD with a Seagate 320gb 7200rpm.

5. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Both are similar specked. Except if you dedicate each computer for specific uses. Say, use the iMac mostly for editing and the macbook for the rest. Then it might be useful. But, I think it's a waste to have two computer so closely specked as you'll spend a lot of time updating your work on each other.

I'd get a maxed MB with a secondary screen, if I were you.

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

might aswell wait for macworld to see wot happens

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Good suggestion. Wait and if nothing better comes out, I would get the Cinema Display. The Macbook and iMac specs are too similar.

8. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I'd get the MB + iMac. MB for email/web and on the go stuff. iMac would stay home and do heavy processing (DVD rips/EyeTV encoding, etc) and be a media server for me.

If you want max screen real estate and your Mac with you all the time, get the MB + LED Cinema.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

MB/Display combo for me.. This way you pimp out your MB and don't have to worry about synching anything and all that jazz..

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

The iMac is a bit cheaper but the mb+24 inch is more versatile because you can always pop your macbook in your bag and use it everywhere.

11. Young Turk macrumors 6502

I have the 20" Aluminum iMac and 2.4 Aluminum MacBook and am very pleased with this combination. I connect my Canon Vixia HD camera to the iMac, which has Firewire ports the MB lacks. MobileMe keeps everything in sync between the MacBook, the iMac and my 3g iPhone.

Peace,

YoungTurk

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Everyone's situation is different. I have a macbook pro right now and I love it, but if I was buying a mac today, I wouldn't get one. I'd get a macbook air and a 24in iMac, because for what I do it makes more sense.

13. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

same position i am in.
    the macbook pro and 24" cinema display is looking good...

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That is my goal some day. I have a 20" iMac and I use my old TiBook as a laptop, but maybe next year I will pick up a used Air. The iMac definitely has enough processing power and storage to be my workhorse computer/home server and the Air would be perfect for traveling and using in the living room.

15. MIKE666 macrumors regular

i think it would be a good idea for you to get the white macbook, look for a cheap one. when you have got that then maybe get the high end imac, or the 2.8 with the 8800 if you are worried about video cards.

16. tonyl macrumors 6502

It depends on your needs. If you only have two Macs, one for home, one for portable use, then MB+iMac is good.

17. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Syncing two computers is a real pain in the butt. Unless you have done this before and were happy with the results I would get the macbook+screen.

18. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

+1 on Macbook + display. I really hate working on two different computers, it's really a hassle.

19. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

20. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

21. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

FWIW, I have the 24" iMac and MacBook Air. I love the combination of desktop work station/entertainment center and lightweight laptop on the go. I keep docs synced primarily through Dropbox, and other bits sync through Evernote and MobileMe. This combo works great for me.

22. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

I would do that, but the macbook and cinema display is a great combo too

23. iMacIreland macrumors member

I would choose the screen and the MacBook, buy the high end mac book and a wireless keyboard and mouse and then when you connect it to the screen its like having a desktop. And all of your files are in one place.

24. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

That is what I am looking at, the macbook pro 15.4" and the 24" cinema display.
    The perfect setup, portability and desktop.