MB Air resolution increase

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ToomeyND, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

When I attach my 11" air to an HDTV to show something on the big screen, the resolution on my laptop changes to show what is showing on the TV. Everything shrinks in size as if it were being displayed in 1080P.

Is there a way to keep this setting on the laptop for when it isn't mirroring to a tv? I kinda like all of the small icons.

2. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Not sure if this'll help but try this:

System Preferences > Displays

Then change Resolution to scaled and see if you use a higher resolution.
    Good luck!

3. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Unfortunately, these are my only options.

Attached Files:

4. iterva macrumors regular

Click on desktop, Press Command (⌘) + J and change settings to your liking.

Similar changes can be done in Finder...Simply open Finder, and ⌘ + J again.

Does that help? FYI - You cannot increase the resolution of the built-in display. But making icons/text smaller might give you the feel of a resolution increase. ;)

5. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

That did help some, so thank you for the suggestion! I understand the resolution, but I've attached two screen shots. One is without plugging into a tv, the second is just the automatic resolution adjustment when the tv was plugged in. They were taken seconds apart. If you notice, the top menu bar is also shrunken, as well as all text.

Your suggestion helped with the icons, which gives the feeling of what I'm going for, but the benefit is more when I am working in multiple windows and they actually fit next to each other!

Attached Files:

6. iterva macrumors regular

That is something called scaling.
    So with the physical limitations of the built-in display panel it never has, or never will run in a higher resolution than the native one of 1366x768 on 11" Airs. Native resolution limits the amount of pixels available.

Check out QuickRes. This gives you additional scaling options, but keep in mind doing this will also affect picture quality. Scaling is what happens to the built-in display when you plug in your Air to a external display and match desktop size to the external display .
    I have not tried out this app, so i can´t give any more feedback on usability etc.

Also check out BetterSnapTool. It makes multi-window management less frustrating imho.

7. abta1 macrumors 6502

8. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for the help! I do understand the reason for the resolution maximum, but scaling was definitely the term I was looking for.

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Doesn't work with 11-inch MBA. Only works with 13.

10. abta1 macrumors 6502

Works on my 11" MBA.

11. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

What's the difference between QuickRes and SwitchResX?

12. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded Quickres4 (there is a link on their twitter for half off, or $2.50). I'm now operating in a synthetic 1080p. Thank you all for the help.

I also bought BetterSnapTool. Man, I'm becoming so tech savvy. :p

13. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

So you're happy with QuickRes4? Does it produce results similar to the screenshots you posted?

14. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I'm working off of my screen now, and it appears to be 1080p without a connection to a tv.

Edit: Text is a little grainy (as expected), but I feel as if I have much more real estate to work with.

Attached Files: