MB Air Startup Screen Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by insite, Apr 20, 2019.

1. insite macrumors newbie

When awoken from sleep my MB Air shows a blue grey screen initially with some vertical lines through the middle portion - when restarted the same problems occurs - I have done a PRAM and SMC reset a few times but there is no change other than now the lines on the screen have increased considerably and are both vertical and horizontal and I have no further access on to the machine - advice as to my problem and how to deal with it would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Have you tried an nvram reset?

The screen issue may be due to a loose LVDS cable, MacBook has been dropped, or exposed to liquid.

I don't think it's a software issue if that's how it looks as soon as it is powered up.

3. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

If possible, connect an external display to determine if it's a GPU or display issue.

4. insite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Lee

When I reduce the screen dimming , through the lines , I can just about see the login page and if I have enter the login password it opens the computer - this , with my limited knowledge , suggests some type of display problem.

Any further thoughts on how to deal with this ?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2019 ---
    Hi Audit ,

Are a NVRAM and PRAM the same thing ? If so I have already tried PRAM a few times

Attached Files:

5. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Can you connect it to another display, even a TV would suffice?

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

PRAM and NVRAM are the silimar: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204063

Since you have tried the hardware reset, you need to check for a loose cable, re-install the OS, or signs on damage. Based on what I see, the Air needs a new display.