MB Air vs. MB Pro and noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greese, Jan 22, 2013.

1. greese macrumors newbie

I have an 11" MB Air. It's a great computer and is my main computer for work and everything else.

But anytime I run anything even a little bit intensive, the fan spins up and gets really loud.

Does anyone know if a 13" MB Pro does the same thing?

I don' mind moving up to the bigger machine if it will remain quiet. I get that occasionally fans need to turn on. It just seems like the MB Air does this quite a bit.

thanks in advance for the replies.

greese

2. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

I think for basic tasks you would be fine, I know that for encoding, games, and running tons of stuff at once your going to get some noise, I had a 13 inch pro and it never bothered me, however I have never used an air so I cannot compare. My new 15.4 inch retina has been dead silent so far.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

More processing power being used translates into more heat generated, thus a bigger thermal load for the fans to dissipate, so they need to get going to keep everything in check.

It'll happen regardless if it's a cheap $150 netbook or a top of the line 17" MBP. No machine is silent, and switching machines simply because you don't like a bit of occasional fan noise is quite silly. (First world problems eh?)

The 13" has a more powerful processor, capable of generating even more heat than the ultra-low voltage processor in the air, if anything, I'd expect the fans to come on more often.

4. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

One thing worth noting is that the MacBook Pro has 2 fans, while the Air has just one. Also, do you have the 2010, 2011, or 2012 Air? The 2012 model has an asymmetrical fan, which is supposed to be quieter.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 13" MBP has only one fan.

6. Ploki macrumors 68010

13" rMBP has two asymmetrical, same as rMBP15". Whisper quiet-great fans.

13" MBP has old fan, one. Louder by default @2000rpm.

7. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I use to have an old MacBook - There was significant noise when it was put to the test, I imagine the noise you hear is similar.

I can only speak about the 13" with Retina - Audible in a silent room, ofcourse. But in comparision, there is a massive difference.

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have been playing COD4 in bootcamp on my Base 13" 2012 and I very hardly hear the fan spin up, but then again I have a Base 13" MBA and rarely hear it either.