MB Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheekybobcat, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I am about to sell my HP laptop IF I get a Mac for my birthday soon. I've been looking up on the MacBook Air and my requirements don't really necessitate any more than what the MacBook Air offers.
    It would either be between the Air or the MBP but I don't really want to spend 2k or more...

For someone who stores only about 30-50 GB of data (almost all music, movies, and pictures) on their computer, would need the Microsoft Office programs, travels mostly by car, and uses Internet the MOST, would you reccomend the MacBook Air or MBP?
    Explanations of why you chose one or the other would help me greatly too.
    Oh, and I'm buying one by January 30th.
    thanks.

2. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Seeing as you're not doing heavy duty video editing or graphics work and you're traveling, the MacBook Air seems to fit the bill.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

MacBook Air. There isn't cause to get a MBP for what you do. It's a professional notebook with professional power, you won't be using any of that, so I recommend the MBA, but have you considered a MB? You'll get a whole lot more features for less, but the MBA is sweet you must admit. I'd buy one as a secondary computer if I had the money. For your needs, the MBA seems fine.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mb or mbp hands down. why pay more for less

if you have to ask this question, i would say the mba is not a good choice tbh

5. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I really do want a MBA but I've heard there is no way to replace the battery except sending it back to Apple.
    Will that cost money to have Apple replace the battery
    I mean more money then just the cost of the battery, like an installment fee.

6. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I believe the battery costs $129 and free installation.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope. $129 for a new battery-- and Apple replaces it w/out extra cost. (Note: that's about how much Apple's other portables' batteries cost anyway.)

8. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Dude. Get a Macbook. The MBA has a crappy 1.8 inch IPOD hard drive. Those puppies are prone to failure. Not to mention.. how are you going to get all of your 50 gb of music off of your HP? Wireless will take hours...

So lets do some math..

80 GB hard drive = 74.5 Gigs formatted.

74.5 - 7 gigs for leopard = 67.5 gigs
    -------------------------
    67.5-50 gigs for music/video= 17.5 gigs
    ------------------------
    17.5-7.45* gigs= 10.05 gigs for everything else

*The 7.45 gigs is 10% of the drive.. Leopard recommends that you keep this free for virtual memory and stuff like that.

Dude, get the macbook with bigger drive. MBP is way too much tower and pricetag. Macbook.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you are not going to be really traveling, MacBook might be a better choice, as it is cheaper and have a few more ports. If you want something that is more of a fashion statement, Air is more suitable, of course.

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I think with 30-50GB of content, not including applications and OS, you might be pushing the limits of the MBA drive.

You might want to consider the MB or maybe wait for the next MBA with larger drives?

(EDIT: This from the perspective of someone who is eagerly awaiting my MBA)

11. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I'm now considering the MacBook.
    I think I may have been basing my choice on aesthetics and the MBA can take any computer in the world in visuals.
    The MBA I would want was $2,099 and I can get a better performance MacBook for about $300 less so I may get the MB.
    Ugh..this is a difficult decisions....

I have all my music and video and stuff on a 250GB external HD so since the MBA does has a USB i was gunna use that. But I'm almost positive that I am going to get the MB now. It seems a much better choice.

12. Matiek macrumors member

Apple has said that the battery installation doesn't require any tools other than a P-zero screwdriver, the same tool you would need to add ram to a MBP or a MB.

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Maybe not really difficult. If this is your primary computer, I would get the MB or MBP personally.

For example, with the way I work and what I need when I go on trips or to a client location, I won't even be using iTunes on this thing. My iTunes base will continue to be my MP. And with smart playlists, I take 6-7 GB of content with me on a trip on my phone.

But the 64 GB in the MBA will be all business. 64GB is tight. (Imagine reading that statement 10 years ago! :))

14. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

plus, leopard is almost 10 gigs, not just 7. sucks not to get the mba though... it is so cool.

15. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

MBA is a first generation of that platform so that means that there will be a better upgrade will come out some time but I dont know when..
    if I were you I would get a MB bit cheapper and packs more features ..

16. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the black MacBook and it's awesome!!! YAY :apple:!!!

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would get the MB if this is your main machine. The MBA really works best as a 2nd Mac.