MB Battery Management

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bking1000, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

How do people manage their MB batteries? I know with rechargeables, it's best to use the power up before doing a full charge. Although not as critical as it once was, that still seems to be best practice.

My question is, what about leaving it plugged in? The battery on my Dell laptop for work just went unusually quickly (got about 11 months before the battery wouldn't hold a charge), and I was told I shouldn't keep it plugged into the wall all the time, but should make sure I let it drain and recharge from time to time.

And what about unplugging from my home office, and walking over to the living room and plugging in there. Does that kick off a charge "cycle?" Someone told me MB batteries are good for about 300 "cycles" but I'm not entirely sure what that means.

How do you manage your battery, and is it OK to leave it plugged in a lot?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's definitely not the case anymore. Don't deliberately discharge your battery each time because this will actually slowly wear it out. Do it intentionally once a month via a battery calibration, but that is all.

Feel free to keep it plugged in all the time. It is intelligent enough to know not to overcharge, assuming you calibrate it monthly.

That's fine. It won't kick off any charge cycles.

Apple once used the analogy of a person using a laptop plugged in at home, catching the tram to work and using it on the tram via battery, and then plugging it in at work and using it all day. It's fine to keep it plugged in when possible, but also good for it to be run from the battery every now and then. Just make sure you calibrate it monthly and you'll be fine. :)

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link! Very helpful

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i already knew how to take care of a notebook battery properly, but Mad Jew the way you explained that just then was absolutely perfect! it was written in a way that anyone could understand. good work!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew