MB battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bamba, Jun 8, 2010.

1. bamba macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 Macbook, and until recently, whenever the battery was dead, it would go into sleep mode, and once I plugged it in, the screen would be dimly grey and in a few moments I could carry on as if nothing had happened, with the batter charging. But since a few months, it shuts itself down once the battery is empty. How can I make it hibernate again?

Also, how accurate is coconutBattery on a Leopard?
    These are taken only a few hours apart:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are a lot of cycles, so Coconut Battery might not be as accurate anymore.
    Try SmartSleep to restore or change your hibernation settings.
    http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

3. bamba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! But what would be a good way to see in what state my battery actually is? I read somewhere that they are only good for around 300 cycles and I have clearly way more than that.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

System Profiler, Coconut Battery and iStat Pro, but they all use the same source, so don't expect 100% accuracy. My iBook's battery has over 700 cycles (maybe more) and it reported 100% health and 12000mAh capacity, which was a lie of course and the battery hardly lasts 30 minutes now.

So if you still can get two to four hours out of it, no need to worry, but it will lessen over time and it will do so abruptly at one point or another.

5. bamba thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, but now I've got a new question lol
    When I went to set the SmartSleep, I decided to check on the Fan Control. My MB's been getting really hot lately, especially on one side and now I saw this:
    [​IMG]
    Does it mean the right fan is broken?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It does mean there is only one fan.

[​IMG]

7. bamba thread starter macrumors newbie

Oic lol
    So there's really nothing I can do against over heating?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It does not overheat with that temperature. If it would be constantly at 90°C and up, then you might have a problem, but 62°C is quite okay, even if it feels a bit warm.
    _________
    I I

9. bamba thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually a lot hotter usually, so hot that I can't hold my hand against it lol
    I had the fan working at around 2000 but turned it up just now.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

if it gets unbearably hot, you can try reapplying the thermal paste. I did, and it significantly lowered my internal temperatures. Check this thread for more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=932922 . Hope I helped!