MB battery reading wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AcesHigh87, Jan 23, 2009.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

So I plugged in my Macbook (White, 2.4 Ghz) this morning, same as I have been doing most days, no need to run the battery down for nothing, and instead of reading 100% charge its only reading 98%. I figured it just lost charge somewhere, no big deal but when I click on the charge icon to see if it says charging it claims the battery is charge. How can it be charged and at 98%? I'm just worrying that I'm losing battery life here cuz it already doesn't last long if ts not plugged in.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I'm guessing no since I'm not even quite sure what that means

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

First calibrate. Second i don't think this is a big issue to worry about. I also don't think that you're loosing power cause the same thing happens to my MBP so....;)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Did you leave it in standby rather than shutting it down?

6. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I might have on a few occasions why?

7. erstwhilepo macrumors member

You said you plugged it in during your original post. That indicates that you unplugged the power at some point. If it was in stand-by running on battery power...

8. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Nah, I only leave it in stand-by when its plugged in. If I'm un-plugging it I make sure to shut it down

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you calibrated yet? That's almost certainly your issue.

10. erstwhilepo macrumors member

I run istat and checked battery status - it indicated 98% there, but battery icon on desktop indicates 100%.

Unplugged and ran battery down - now both indicate 100%.

The battery just needs to be calibrated. Easy fix. No problems with your battery.

11. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

What I do, is that at 2% it goes into "sleep mode", so i ran it down until it went to sleep, then I went to sleep, then in the morning, before school, I plugged it in, and then after school, it was calibrated :D

12. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

so basically if I run it till it shuts itself down then let it fully charge again it should go back to normal? Reading through this I have realized that clearly its not an issue just would like it to display correctly lol.

Also, any idea on how often this should have to be done?

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

14. teevoz macrumors newbie

similar problem

My Macbook was out for a screen repair, and just came back - when I plug it in it's fine, and the charging light is orange - but it's registering at 0% on the battery meter and has been for a while. How long should it take for the battery to recharge enough that I see some action in the meter? This is an October 2006 vintage 13" white macbook. Also - when I unplug it, it all goes black - clearly there's no charge. thanks

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Normally, my computer charges a little faster than it drains. You should see a change fairly quickly.

Something is wrong with your power system. Normally I'd say the problem is the battery, but since it just got back from the shop, I'm wondering if they might have disconnected something. Take it back in and tell them to do it right this time.

16. teevoz macrumors newbie

thanks

OK - I turned everything completely off and left it plugged in for a couple of hours - and it went to green and 100%. So I'm going to wait and see. Thanks for the reply anyway.

17. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

K so I calibrated it and it run fine for about a day but now it's claiming the battery is full charged at 97%, even lower then originally...

18. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just use CoconutBattery to keep an eye on its health and forget about the rest.