MB Broken in Repair: How Common?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nic04, Jan 29, 2008.

1. nic04 macrumors newbie

I have a two-month old Macbook, which replaced a 12" PB. Like a lot of the MBs around, it started developing some cracks near the trackpad, so I sent it off to AppleCare to be replaced. So far, so normal, but I was wondering how common it is for people to get hardware back from AppleCare that has been totally bricked.

Once the repair was done, they sent it back to me where I discovered that in the process of replacing the top case, they'd completely broken the trackpad and keyboard.

I got a call from executive relations after I complained (I'm calling back in a few hours), and although my MB is now working again (after replacement of the keyboard/trackpad, the optical drive, the inverter, and the logic board...if anyone knows what went on with that repair, I'd love to know) I was wondering how common it was for AppleCare to send back a computer without testing / turn a working MB into a brick. I'm talking about creating completely new issues, rather than simply not managing to repair what it was sent in for (because they did replace the top case, and it was great. It's just the keyboard and trackpad died).

On a unrelated note, I noticed the superdrive they replaced appears to be region-free. Is that also fairly common?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

wow i'm surprised they repaired all of that, would have been cheaper(for apple) to provide you brand new MB

3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

It's pretty common. I've had this happen to me twice.

Apple's customer service representatives are exceptional. Their technicians leave something to be desired.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yep. I sent mine in for the same reason (handrest cracking) and it came back minus an optical drive. It also took 5 mins to boot up... sent it back and got a superdrive as a replacement for the combo drive and everything runs smoothly now.... except, now I'm starting to get some screen flicker!!

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

it is pretty common....my macbook was sent in for a minor issue (and for the life of me i can't remember what it was)-- anyway, they had it for over three weeks and when it came back, we turned it on at the genius bar only to have these crazy colored lines all down the screen-- i called, complained (since the computer was less than a month old when it had to go in for repair) and they sent me a brand new one