MB Case Crack POLL

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Etrain, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Does your MB have case cracks?

1. Yes, MB cracked (Rev. A, B, C) BLACK

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Yes, MB cracked (Rev. A, B, C) WHITE

27 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Yes, MB cracked (Rev. D, E) BLACK

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Yes, MB cracked (Rev. D, E) WHITE

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. No, MB NOT cracked (Rev. A, B, C) BLACK

13 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. No, MB NOT cracked (Rev. A, B, C) WHITE

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. No, MB NOT cracked (Rev. D, E) BLACK

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. No, MB NOT cracked (Rev. D, E) WHITE

30 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

The main problem I see with the MBs versus the Pros is the cracking case. I think it would be interesting to see how many MB users have this problem.

Please comment. Thanks! :)

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have experienced the cracking case problem twice on my black Core Duo MacBook. Both times Apple fixed the problem under warranty. The current top case hasn't presented a problem yet so I'm hoping the problem is solved on my end.

I didn't vote in the poll because there was no option for "MacBook was cracked but problem fixed." I didn't think an outright no was what you were looking for in my situation.

3. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Ah, thanks for bringing that to my attention. If your case cracked and it was repaired please still vote YES, it cracked. I am assuming that if the MB does crack Apple will fix it. I'm looking for how frequent it happens. :)

Thanks!

4. KompleX macrumors regular

no cracks here on the new penryn model. if i ever get a crack on my macbook i will just die! :eek:

5. Hoo03 macrumors regular

My previous black MB rev A was solid. No problem at all.

6. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Just wondering, why did you switch to the MBP? I'm debating which to get.

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Mine did crack, was repaired under Applecare and have had no issues since.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, haven't heard about this.

What is the issue, exactly?

Thanks...

9. tringo macrumors regular

My 1.83 white just cracked on the right side. Just above the IR sensor.

10. Hoo03 macrumors regular

It was somewhat of an impulse decision, because I got an excellent price for it. Also I was able to sell my MB at a decent price.

Since I already have a main desktop, at the time I wanted something that was portable but just as capable as iMac without connecting to an external monitor. Since I spend majority of my time using my laptop, I wanted to have a larger screen real estate to work with.

11. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Some MacBooks experience cracking of the case.

[​IMG]

It is possible it is from the magnets used to close it. Some claim it is the result of carelessness, but I feel it is likely a design problem.

Interestingly enough, no one has reported a crack in the Rev D or E MacBooks. That could be because either we haven't given the poll enough time, Apple has resolved the issue, or, more likely, this defect happens after awhile of use.

Thanks! Did you like the MB though?

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Mine cracked about three weeks after I got it. I took it into the store, they shipped it off, and it was on my doorstep in a shipping box all fixed in less than 40 hours. I've had it for seven months since and no more cracks.

13. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

It will crack again, just give it time. This problem is due to a massive design fault that apple for what ever reason hasn't felt it necessary to fix. It's all well and good having the top case replaced very 3 months via warranty (if you don't mind not having your computer for a week) but after warranty runs out top case replacements are going to get expensive in a hurry. i guess apple thinks that the computer will be completely shot at that age and belongs in the garbage anyway :D

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Also note that my cracking was in a different spot than what is common and the case wasn't actually coming apart, just a hairline crack. Just because yours cracked doesn't mean that every one does.

15. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

I've had 3 now, two of which cracked. My third one I've only had for a couple weeks but I would not be surprised if it cracks with in 3 months... in fact I expect it to. It is highly likely anyone who actually takes their macbook around with them will suffer a crack

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

It depends on how you treat it. I set mine down when I put the case in the car, but I know some people that toss their laptops into the seat and complain about cracking. And a lot of these instances of cracking have nothing to do with moving around, but more to do with the plastic on the casing which can vary between computers.

17. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Our poll here seems to discredit that statement.

I feel this cracking phenomenon is half magnet related, and half based on how one cares for the MacBook. Not that people who are experiencing cracking are abusing their MacBooks, rather how one opens the MacBook (slowly or quickly) likely attributes to this problem.

Funny, as I recall I recently read a post about you buying another MacBook.

From a March 5th post:
    Why return after so many horrible troubles, especially considering your attitude and perception of quality pertaining to the MacBook?

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

no cracking on my 21 month old MacBook at tv time I sold it (2 weeks ago). And none on the brand new blackbook that replaced it. :p

19. KompleX macrumors regular

please provide proof that there is a design flaw in the macbooks that will cause case cracking. otherwise what you just said is pure BS!

how can the magnet be in any way responsible for case cracking??

rev = revision

20. Mackan macrumors 65816

One can highly suspect it is a design flaw. Proof can be made after studying the material stress in the plastic of a MacBook after some use.

The magnets causes the lid to close flushed on the top case with a high pressure. A constant pressure at those two spots where the magnets meet, will stress the plastic there. Eventually, it might crack.

21. KompleX macrumors regular

suspecting it's a design flaw is reasonable, but HIGHLY suspecting it to be a design flaw is too dramatic. case cracking can be caused by any number of factors, and picking out one out without absolute certainty is unreasonable. you can believe what you want, but you cannnot say case cracking is caused by this and that.

i choose to believe that case cracking is caused by user carelessnes. just last week, i saw some guy sitting on his duffle bag. he quickly got up, opened the bag, and to my suprise pulled out his laptop to make sure it was ok.

22. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

mine cracked in the corner because i dropped it. Does that count? It's perfect otherwise

23. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

Well,

My Refirbished Macbook(s) didn't crack, but the 1st one's logic board died, so I had to get a replacement (which they shipped promptly).

Note: I have a A.P.P (Applecare Protection Plan) on the computer(s).

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why did you group 1st three revisions in one group? Most of the problems were with just rev.A.

I have rev. B white and its perfect. My dad had a rav.B black and it cracked above the sleep indicator light.

I think part of the reason of cracking cases is lower-quality plastic, and the second part is users closing the lids with force.