MB Case Scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremy1026, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Today I noticed that my MBs case had 4 giant scratches on it :(. I don't know how they got there or anything. Does anyone know of any ways to fix them. Its a week old, too young to have battle scars.

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

it's going to happen. The macbooks are prone to scratches and fingerprints..just live with it and accept it

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If they aren't really giant scratches (sometimes we tend to make things sound worse than they really are) you can look into some sort of fiberglass/plastic scratch removal kit.

These kits are ones we use on F-16 cockpits to polish them but similar kits are available (mostly the liquid can be bought at auto parts stores) for regular consumers.

Basically boils down to your polishing the scratches out. You start with a semi coarse liquid to smooth the scratches, then work down to a finer grade liquid to polish and give a smooth finish. I've use this process on plexiglass and once done right is 99.9999999% un-noticable.

That is, if it really bothers you that much. I mean scratches are going to happen with laptops. Only other way to prevent it is to A: Be mindful of what's going on around it, meaning take care of it, or B: get something like a skin or speck case.

4. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

:(, crap, I guess ill try to look pathetic today at the apple store while I have my keyboard looked at

5. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I detail cars semi-professionally, do you think a polis used on cars paint would be strong for the MB case?

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

i'm not certain but doesn't iklear offer ipod polisher (scratch remover)?
    i heard that this stuff works on the macbook too.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That stuff basically works on the same premise I described. Your essentially "buffing" the scratches out.

To the OP's previous post. Yes it should work, The outter shell is essentially plastic. I wouldn't use to harse an abrasive liquid (since you detail cars you would understand what I'm saying) like Mothers. That stuff would ruin your mb finish. But similar lighter liquids/scratch removers should be ok.

Like I said I'm used similar products on plexiglass and on a cell phone screen and it's hardly noticabled and by hardly I mean you REALLY can't tell.

8. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

So I went in to the Apple today for my keyboard issues, walked out with a new MacBook, scratch free :)

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I know it's off topic, but how and why do you have a 2.2GHz MacBook with a 80GB hard drive?

10. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Good catch, that should read 120GB...fixing

11. amrk47 macrumors regular

you want a scratch free white macbook

get some sand paper and sand it down
    it has been done before and it looks amazing
    basically it turns out to be a white matte