MB Cheapest at MacConnection, but what are the downfalls?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcheng4, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mcheng4 macrumors member

Hi All, I am SUPER close to purchase the higher end, new MacBook (sucker for the illuminated keyboard...sad)

I see that today it is CLEARLY cheapest to by from MacConnection (save $200 after rebate +free shipping + NO taxes!) But I was wondering the downfalls and if you all would recommend them?

I am crious about this most: I have had multiple friends bring in broken products to the Apple store and they hand a brand new one back to them barely any questions asked. Is this ONLY if you have purchased it in the apple retail or apple.com store?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Everything about buying from an Authorized Reseller is exactly the same. Buy now.

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

FYI, MacConnection charges sales tax to my state and many others, so Amazon was ultimately the cheapest at $1269 - $50 rebate + free shipping.

4. mcheng4 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know Amazon is real good.

Except I am looking at the 250GB Model, it is $1399 (from $1599) at MacConnection. The cheapest I have found, PLUS free shipping, no taxes, and free VMware

But I have never bought from them and just wondering if there are any setbacks.

5. Vashti macrumors member

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing - as I'm buying a macbook within a couple of hours. I have no firsthand experience with macconnections. But I did look on resellerratings.com. There sure were a lot of complaints. I think I'm going to buy from apple. For me, the extra piece of mind is worth it. Though I'm still vaccilating a bit.

6. jeff7979 macrumors newbie

don buy from macconection

I purchased a sony TV from macconnection 2 weeks ago on their for $1260...2 weeks later the price is $900 on this same site. They won't honor the new price. I can return it, but for a 40% restock fee ($504). I can see not honoring the new price if it was a few months back....but 2 weeks? come on. don't do business with this company...you will get screwed!

7. BigGroll macrumors member

I hate to say it, but that doesn't really sound like their fault...that's just bad luck for you.

Unless of course there is some kind of policy they have where they claim to match their own prices.....

8. jeff7979 macrumors newbie

your kidding me right?......a company marks down a TV by $360 less than 2 weeks after I bought it and refuses to honor the new price...I could see if it was a few months out, but 2 weeks? I could have bought this at the same best buy at that price and I guarantee you they would have credited me the difference....if you think that is fair you either a. have an association with macconnection or b. you are just plain ignorant.

9. jeff7979 macrumors newbie

you're kidding me right?......a company marks down a TV by $360 less than 2 weeks after I bought it and refuses to honor the new price...I could see if it was a few months out, but 2 weeks? I could have bought this at best buy at that price and I guarantee you they would have credited me the difference....if you think that is fair you either a. have an association with macconnection or b. you are just plain ignorant.

10. SPX macrumors member

I can understand why you're upset, and I can also understand why MacConnection isn't going to refund you the difference. After all, you did agree to purchase the TV at the higher price.

That said, if you speak to a manager and are polite and ask for a store credit for the difference, I'm guessing that you may be successful.

11. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Go to Microcenter.com and see if there's a store near you. They have great deals all the time! Just got a 13' MacBook pro for 999.

12. jeff7979 macrumors newbie

yep...I was nice and I asked for full credit, partial credit, store credit...anything.....their answer was nothing but offer to take it back for $500 restock.....in other words...go pound sand....you're nuts if you think this is fair....and you're nuts if you ever do business with these guys.....any reputable store would refund the difference....that's why I'll never buy anything from macconnection again....I'll just go to best buy.....they will usually match price and they'll also honor new prices within a reasonable time....certainly within 2 weeks.

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I ordered from them and had no issues. They processed the rebate within a reasonable time frame.

14. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I would buy from an Authorised Reseller, or Apple Themselves, but thats just me