MB Closed Lid - Fans Always On

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by k3rnelkurtz, May 31, 2008.

1. k3rnelkurtz macrumors newbie

I don't really notice the noise because I store the MB in my desk drawer, but I noticed quite recently that the area below the MB screen has a brownish discoloration now, I assume because of the intense heat. I've been using an external monitor connected to the MB with its lid closed for about a year... so far no problems...

But I'm wondering, am I shortening the life span of the MB by doing this? I've heard horror stories of the MB's fan breaking and destroying the whole laptop. I'm pretty sure the overheating isn't too good either, but I want your guys' assurance.

Thanks.

2. Mackan macrumors 65816

It's probably not the optimal working condition for a laptop.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wha?

In a desk drawer? Yikes. You want that thing in the open with plenty of air circulation, especially if you're running it closed.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

When you run it in desktop mode, it blocks part of the ventilation, you should run it in desktop mode but keep it open. And don't store it in a draw unless the draw has a lot of ventilation.

If you mean that the top bit of the macbook (just above the esc key, right along until the eject key), thats just how they are, mine looks a bit darker as well (not brown though).

Its even visible if you look at the macbook on apple.com, you'll see it has a grey tinge at the top.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

have the same problem with my MBP, the fans will continue to run until the temperatues of CPU/GPU etc. get to a max set requirement.

i would sugest leaving the draw open or ever taking it out of the draw.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Not ENTIRELY true, as it vents out the back, not through the keyboard like the iBooks.

Still, it's NEVER good to run a closed laptop inside a desk drawer, or even run a macbook closed for WEEKS at a time.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its basicallu a mac mini then anyways :p
    a very expensive one!

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep...

Exactly.