MB Core 2 Duo only shows one CPU - Safari 4 related?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smokestack, Feb 24, 2009.

1. smokestack macrumors member

Greetings all,

My Santa Rosa 2.2Ghz Blackbook has developed an interesting problem, which I noticed after installing the new Safari 4 Beta.

It's only showing one CPU.

Profiler and Activity Monitor both show the same thing... and while this is strange, everything is running fine (perhaps a bit slower, but i have been thinking the comp was being a bit slower in recent weeks).

I can't say for sure that Safari 4 had anything to do with this, the only connection was when I noticed the problem. I have uninstalled Safari 4 (and rebooted), but the problem remains...

Can anyone help me out? Similar experience, explanation, or how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's Safari 4's problem, I still have 2 cores after installing. Strange one though. Hit Google see if anyone else has ever had the same problem.

3. priller macrumors regular

Still shows 2 cores on mine with Safari 4 installed.

4. amrk47 macrumors regular

5. amrk47 macrumors regular

i just checked, your processor only has 4mb cache

something is up with ur machine

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Look like one of your core as a defect. I don't know for you, but I would go do checkup to an Apple store to be sure. Do you have Apple Care?

7. Lostatsea3 macrumors member

If the comps still running just as fast then I'd say its software not a hardware problem. Try running a ton of apps... like 10 or so at a time and see if it goes unbearably slow. Also, if there's a software update get that. BIOS could just be misreading the core...

8. smokestack thread starter macrumors member

Today is the day I am relieved I bought AppleCare.

Unfortunately I am currently 3hrs outside of Toronto, the closest Apple store.

Are there any tools, or methods to confirm that this is a hardware issue. I find it suprising that my computer just switched over to a single core system without any conflicts arising from this machine, which was never designed for a single core.

I am right up to date on software update.
    I'll try hammering the CPU with some programs when I get home this evening.
    Thanks for the input so far!

9. smokestack thread starter macrumors member

After throwing a bunch of programs at it, the CPU was really heaving.

I have attached a screen cap of it... I've never had that pinwheel come up before.

I think we have discounted the Safari theory...

I would still love any input on possible further tests to run to confirm the hardware issue (or discount that it is a software foul up).

Attached Files:

10. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I would try some repairing options on Onyx. (free) I don't know if there's anything that might be useful to you, but it's still a nice program to have.

By the way, You can call Apple about your repair. If they consider you worthy they will send you a box that you'll need to send it back to them with your computer. You don't necessary need to drive to the Apple Store. There's also some repair shops that are Apple authorized to do repairs on Apple Computer.
    http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Have you installed and/or used any development tools ? Specifically CHUD?

In CHUD you can shut down a core. Or have it use both cores.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You bought Applecare, which includes phone support. What do they say about it?

13. smokestack thread starter macrumors member

PeterQC and Peace have led me to discover my own stupidity through their suggestion of developer tool software.

A couple weeks ago I installed 'MacPilot', which is an OSX customization application... I opened it up today, after completely forgetting about it, and found that I had checked a box under STARTUP which said 'use one processor only'.
    I now recall thinking that it would be great to use one processor on startup to save battery... but imagining that the computer would continue to function with two cores once into OSX. Not the case.

Relieved, embarrassed, but grateful for your help.
    Thanks.
    Matt

14. harry454 macrumors 6502