MB discoloration issue...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cornopaez, Nov 17, 2007.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Has someone tried to get the outer casing replaced due to discoloration? :confused: I've have my MB for about a year now and it's beginning to show some signs of discoloration in certain parts of the outer casing... not to mention the palm rest area (which I know they'll fix)

I'm planning on taking it to the local Apple Store today but I wanted to know what to expect from them.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

2. monotone macrumors newbie

My old Macbook case didn't discolor but chip where the risers meet the case, i took it too my local Apple store (Birmingham) and they were useless and made out that i had done it myself. I phone Apple told them about the problem and they recommended that i take it to an Apple authorized repair center. Took it in they had a quick look and 3 days later i had the whole top case piece installed which includes the keyboard and mouse all under warranty.
    So if for any reason your local store is unhelpful phone up Apple and find out your nearest repair center.

3. isleofjib macrumors regular

contact apple. this was a known issue on the older MB's and apple is well aware of it and replacing them with very little trouble.

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

The solution to that is to get a Black one :p

No, in all honesty, why would someone want a hideous white laptop?

5. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

I went yesterday to the Apple Store and they said that that was not something they could send the MB in for... apparently the computer being discolored is my fault and not Apple's fault. :confused: Anyhow, we figured out that the discoloration was being produced by the sleeve I carry it on, since the MB is almost all the time with me for classes and stuff. Apparently, the tint used in the sleeve rubs-off really easy.. some alcohol and the MB was as white as ever :D

So, don't but the Incase dark red sleeve... it's going to stain the computer!:mad:

6. isleofjib macrumors regular

CALL apple. my experience with the stores is hit or miss with customer service. they seem to try NOT to do the right thing sometimes. but apple customer service WAS taking care of this with little fuss and even for out of warranty MB's. i know my ex had hers replaced with no question. i wouldn't be convinced it's the sleeve. as i said, it's a well known issue with the older MB's.

7. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

Can do! :D;)

8. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Why would someone pay more of a black one which is just going to get scratched and show finger prints even easier?

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Interesting, I don't see any scratches or finger marks; I guess I tend not to eat greasy fish 'n chips around my machine.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know, I'm about to make the switch from PC to Mac <insert applause here>. I'm gonna go for the MB and I would totally get the blackbook if it didn't charge you for the color. I'm afraid the white one will get too discolored. I was desperately hoping that the new MBs would have an ALUMINIUM casing, but... oh well... I guess we can't all get what we want and there is NO WAY I'm going to wait another 6 months to see if the next update has aluminium casing... haha.

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

lol, well I'll happily shuffle my emo ass down the road with my black laptop, black bag, black iPod (cover) :)

When I bought this, the Black one costed more - sure, but at the same time, I IIRC this had a large hard disk, and the fact that it continues to look 'as knew' even 6 months after purchasing is more than enough justification to pay the extra.

12. isleofjib macrumors regular

yep. the extra cost is exactly why i wouldn't spring for a black one. but i also like the aluminum casing better. when i have the extra $$$ i plan on upgrading to a MBP.

if it helps, the discoloration issue was on the older models. i think it's been resolved now and you should be fine with either color.

13. Twinsbb17 macrumors member

I brought my White MB into the Apple Store to replace my dead hard drive. When I picked it up 2 days later, they had replaced the whole top plastic piece including the keyboard. All of this was under the Apple Care, it didn't cost me a dime, and I didn't even ask to have the palmrest area replaced. I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW, Time Machine saved my ass because they put in a new blank Hard Drive. All I did was restore my hard drive back to the last saved point and 40 minutes later I was computing like normal :)

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

There are a lot of posts about this topic and you should be ok - I would follow isleofjib's advice.

15. sportsnut macrumors regular

Some people bought the c2d black one from the refurb store so they didn't pay the black tax. Fingerprints are taken care of with the daily dusting and due to the different topcoat of the black, scratches are not an issue with normal use.

Many people pay more for the black because of the discoloration issues that the OP has. The newer white ones discolor less that the original ones but it must still happen since I notice this topic appears quite a bit.

To the OP, I hope apple customer service deals with the discoloration of your book.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Because the black flakes of and look like crap

17. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Keep on dreaming buddy

18. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I think it's obscene that mac things that they can charge so much more just for a black mac book. Even more rediculous is that people are actually paying for it.

19. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

Called Apple and replacing the outer case due to discoloration made by the sleeve is not covered by the warranty. They said the only way to get rid of the thing is if I pay something around $370-$400 bucks... I guess I'll have to live with a red-and-white MB (The color of my University is red, so I guess there's and excuse ;) )

Damn Incase Sleeve :mad:

20. ircorva macrumors newbie

Outer Case: Me too

I'm really glad someone else has had this problem, too. I took my MacBook to the Apple store a couple of months ago with discoloration on: the palmrest, several frequently used keys, the trackpad, AND the outside case , especially the edge of the top nearest the hinge.

Strangely enough, I had a white G3 iBook for years, and nothing like this ever showed up.

The store replaced the palmrest/trackpad, and either cleaned or replaced the keys. However, as far as the top case was concerned, they told me that I must have stained it with something. They had done their best to clean it, and got it about 60-70% cleaner. Since then, it's all come back. Mind you, that top case was stained the exact same shade of rose-pink that was on the palmrest, trackpad, and everywhere else. Nevertheless, he said it was something I had done!

Of course, it affects nothing at all in terms of function, but I'm tired of my students and coworkers asking me why my new laptop is turning pink! I guess I'll try calling Apple and griping loudly.

21. ircorva macrumors newbie

Good News: Case Discoloration

I have some good news. After reading many posts today, I was all ready to call AppleCare and make a scene. Before doing that, I decided to try one solution I had seen mentioned a few times: a pencil eraser. IT WORKED, but of course, pencil erasers only erase a thin line at a time, so my results were looking a bit streaky.

After taking off about 25% of the pink discoloration, I decided to try another suggestion I'd seen: A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (we just happened to have a box of 2 new ones in the house). After wetting it and wringing it nearly dry, I tried it. Again, IT WORKED... even better. In 30 seconds my MacBook looked like brand new.

So... before screaming at Apple, driving to an Apple store, or sending it back to Apple and waiting two weeks, go spend a couple of bucks on a Magic Eraser. -Wish I had tried this a year ago when the discoloration first started! :D

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

interesting fix...I wonder if other people tried it...

23. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

I guess it could work but the magic eraser will destroy the glossy finish of the outer case of the MB. The magic erasers are very abrasive; I used them to remove scruff marks from walls and floors... among other various things and substances from other surfaces. I wouldn't really recommend doing that.

24. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

The magic erasers are highly recommended by many forum posters on both Apple forums and MacRumors - but, DO NOT use them on the glossy outer case or screen because they will leave fine scratches and "haze" the glossy case.

It's obvious how different the palmrest plastic of the newer MacBooks is compared to the original plastic. Apple replaced my original Core Duo palmrest/keyboard, but not the screen bezel (frame). Absolutely nothing cleans the old screen bezel plastic, but the new palmrest plastic cleans easily. The old plastic is noticeably softer and seems to have a rubbery coating.