MB enough for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by King t., Apr 30, 2008.

1. King t. macrumors regular

hi,

as of the moment I'm thinking of trading my MBP 2.16ghz C2Duo, 120gb HD with 4gb ram and ATI x1600 128MB. for a current Macbook 2.4ghz or Macbook 2.2 Santa Rosa.

These are the apps I mainly use: Iphoto, photobooth, safari, mail, pages, keynote, numbers, excel, Imovie, IDVD, word and VMware for Windows & sometimes Unreal Tournament 2004.
    when I'm at school I often play Trackmania forever over bootcamp. oh sometimes I use Aperture, but not really often.

so now my question, will I still be able to do these things if I trade my MBP for a MB?

Thanks.

2. Tattoo macrumors 6502

Na - dont do it!! Pro version is MUCH better! :cool:

3. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

if you already own the MBP (especially with 4 gb ram) then I wouldn't go for a MB. you won't see any speed differences because of the processor, but the dedicated graphics card will definitely help you with iMovie and gaming.

iMovie is some kind of slow sometimes on my MB. but I only have 2 gb ram.

I would keept the MBP.

4. Slothapotamus macrumors member

You won't be able to play Unreal Tournament on a MacBook as it has no dedicated graphics card. Stick with your MacBook Pro. From the specs it seems pretty new.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

6. lfc200 macrumors member

7. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

well...

the latest Macbooks have generally a higher CPU speed than your 2.16ghz MBP.
    Besides UT2k4, the rest of the apps dont really make use of the GPU.

If gaming isn't that important to you, then yeah why not. Get the MB. And if there's any left over, get yourself an iPod :cool:

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That kills the deal for a MB. Otherwise, it would have been the way to go.

9. GeneKam macrumors regular

Yup as mentioned above, dont trade!!! you will regret it, i would personally go for the pro version. I had a pro and traded it for a MB and now i do highly regret it, it was a good deal, the MB jsut does not cut all the things that i do, so it was kinda a waste. THe GPU on MB is pathetic exuse, its the worst thing that i have used, in within windows!

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're only playing the game sometimes, you'll be fine with the macbook. Just because it won't run on the highest possible settings doesn't mean that it's not playable. You'd be sacraficing a lot of power just to be able to play the game every once in a while. People here seem to think that because the pro uses a dedicated card, absolutely nothing runs on the macbook. That is completely false.

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

Nope, iMovie has _nothing_ to do with the graphics card. A lot of people think that all software that has to do with graphics (video editing software, photoshop, etc) puts load on the graphics card, but that isn't true. Only 3D software uses it.

Like everyone else said, you won't be able to enjoy UT2004 too much, other than that, MB is OK.

Well, I disagree. Just because you play it sometimes doesn't mean it won't bother you when it gets choppy. First person shooters are usually games where you want as much FPS as you can get so there isn't an area of "acceptable framerates". Anything below ~40-50 is bad.

For example, two games that didn't provide satisfactory framerates, even on low details and non-native resolution on the MacBook were KOTOR and Wolfenstein: ET. Both are older than UT2004.

Besides, I don't know what you meant by sacrificing a lot of power. The MBP has 2x as much memory, the only advantage MB has is a slightly faster CPU, but that would barely be visible in real life applications.