MB faster than MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

about a month ago my buddy was over with his 2.0 C2D MB w/ 1GB RAM, i have a 2.2 C2D MBP w/2GB RAM. Just for fun i thought we should have a race to see whose computer would start up first. we shut down and then started up. we did this twice and both times the MB finished a solid 10 seconds before my MBP. the i we raced to start up itunes. and again the MB beat my MBP.

what's up with that. all the stats point to my computer but the MB just seems to be faster. any reasons why this would be. and what can i do to speed up my MBP

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

simple answer.
    his MB is on steroids ha ha!

seriously, it's your RAM. he has 1 GB and you have 2GB
    during startup, yours will take longer.

you should have tried opening several applications and then compare the performance with his MB.

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

really? i thought the more ram you have the faster your computer will be hands down

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Yes this is true.
    but not on startup. since your the MBP scan the whole 2 or 4 GB of RAM

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes this is generally true in normal operation.

However, during start up, the computer must test the "extra" RAM in your computer. Hence the delay. Same holds true for video cards, of which the MBP has where as the MB doesn't.

So after startup, start opening applications. After a few, you will probably start seeing a difference in speeds.

6. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

so if i got 4 GB of RAM it would take even longer to start up

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

we're talking seconds here, not minutes.
    the upragrade to a 4GB will make it " faster" when you have 6-10 open applications at the same time,

if you're getting impatient about the start up..
    have you tried putting your MBP at sleep?
    just close the lid..
    and when you open it up, it won't go to the long process of starting up

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A few seconds as the boot process much check the RAM.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about boot times. After all, you can always put your MBP to sleep. It wakes up quickly from there. And if you must do a cold boot, you can always press the power button, do something else, and when you return it will be running and ready for you.

9. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Almost everyone here at college have the macbooks and in certain operations they are generally faster. Certainly battery life is always better. But I paid for the larger screen and graphics power, not a faster computer. That's how I see it anyway.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

How can a MacBook, with the same processor, be faster then a MacBook Pro, with the same exact processor, same amount of RAM, but also a much better graphics card? How is that possible?

11. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Actually, I beg to differ. Firstly, our clock speeds are higher. And it's supposed to have better of everything... Save for perhaps keyboard(debatable by some) and maybe latch(debatable by some, again). They were targetted more to prosumers rather than consumers... so yeah... That's my 2 cents...

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

unless you can back this claim with a geekbench score of the said MB and MBPs..
    for now it's all " cheap talk":D

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

those are very general stats....compare one MB vs MBP, MBP should win out(assume its the newest model of each)

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i'd guess hd speed is the factor..or just the sheer number of stuff on your computer that is in startup

anyhow, testing which computer boots faster is no means of comparison in speed. Run a real test like 3dmark06.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

only if those 6-10 apps use a lot of ram..

if i have 2 gigs of ram and am using only 1 gig of it, it doesn't matter if I had 16 gigs of ram instead..it would run at the same exact speed.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you want fast startup times get an eeePC and nLite the installation (If you put XP on it). 14 seconds woohoo!

Now will it run photoshop or maya or anything? Heck no its just for internet and email.