MB got stolen, now which MBP should i get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkyworks, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

ok so my apartment got broken into and the sob's stole my 13" MB (it was the first unibody design):mad::mad:, you would call it a MBP now but im not calling it that because thats not whats printed on the screen. this was my first mac and i loved it so much and im wanting to get another mac to replace my stolen one. my problem is this, after owning a 13" MB (MBP) which had a 2.0 C2D and 2 Gig of RAM i often found myself wanting more screen restate, more computing HP for video conversion and faster overall performance ect. also I havent been following the mac refresh cycles or possible updates, so the question is do i want to get

1. 13" MBP with a 2.4 C2D @ $1200 because paying more for a 2.66 seems like a waist
    2. 15" MBP with 2.4 i5 @ $1800 and is getting the the hi-res screen for an extra $100 worth it?

but then which ever one i chose im wondering if there is going to be a significant hardware change/refresh in the next 2-4 months cause if there is then i would wait. i know there will always be something "better" coming out but im talking about when they went from plastic bodies to aluminum bodies, serious changes like that.

any input/advice would be great

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

An update is expected within few months (in Q1 '11) so I would wait.

3. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Now or in 2011, you could again get 13" mbp and buy external monitors for larger screen estate. The portability of a 13" mbp is unparalleled. I know countless people who got the 15 and 17 versions and got tired of carrying them around.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you've had no problems with the form factor of the stolen macbook then going from 13" to 15" will seem awkward IMO.

I could never use something larger again. Even 14" PC laptops feel like I'm carrying luggage.

5. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

when i was in college i found the 13" so be very easy to carry, however now that i have graduated i only use it on the couch in my lap or on the coffee table in front of the couch. very rarely do i "travel" with it now it seems like.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

+ you are probably a little bit stronger so that 1.1 or 2 pound increase that the 15 and 17 inch versions respectively have over the 13 inch will seem nonexistent.

7. robo74 macrumors 6502

I had the same MB as you did, wonderful machine and I wanted something faster.
    I landed a deal on a used current gen 15 i5 for $1300 with original warranty until aug 2011. So its not old. Look around for the deals, they are out there.
    i dont regret the purchase of the 15in, its a wonderful, FAST machine!
    I take it with me often, and have it hooked to a 19in LCD when I am at home.

I just love this MBP

8. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

part of me also feels like its a waist to buy another 13" MBP because it only has a C2D processors still, while the 15" MBP at least have i5 processors. basically the current 13" models seem outdated.

9. Monkey194545 macrumors member

11 and 13 inch Macbook airs??? :rolleyes:

10. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

again getting a C2D processor based mac seems like a waist of my money, i would be paying $1200+ for a computer that i had 2 years ago. if im going to have to spend money again id like to buy something that is representative of the advancement in technology.

11. Monkey194545 macrumors member

Understandable, but then a 13in mbp wouldn't even be an option unless you waited. And if the 13 gets a sb i3 with intel graphics I would still take the old c2d with nvidia anyday. The latest and "greatest" intel grapics aren't even as good as the old old 9800m. I've seen seen some great videos comparing the 13in mba again the i series mbp, pretty impressive.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

then go with the 17" MBP ... is it not covered by your Insurance company?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

If thats what you value, great. As for me, I'm more concerned with whether the system will fulfill my needs. The age of a cpu design is not relevant to that if it will pull its weight. My needs are more centered around the rest of the system design than raw cpu processing power.

Had I already owned a MBP13 that was a couple years old, then I'd agree that there wasn't a lot of bang for the buck in buying a current MBP13. Coming from a non-Mac platform and being able to buy an openbox like new MBP13 for $900, I really didn't care whether it was C2D or i5 series since the C2D does what I need.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why would any insurance company reimburse enough funds from a 13" macbook in order to buy a 17"?

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

wait and go with 15", 17" would be an overkill.

16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your stolen MacBook. I've also had that same model you had, and now I've upgraded to a 15 inch i5 MacBook Pro. Its the base model, but I've upgraded the RAM and HDD and it really increased performance AND kept the price a bit lower than if I just bought all the upgrades included inside the computer.

So yeah, I'd say it would be a great idea to make the move to the 15 inch. Plus, the specs of the 13inch right now aren't all that great considering how much you're paying.

17. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I think it depends on whether you need the new laptop right now, or have the ability to wait a few months. The new 13 inch as well as the 15 inch models will definetely be updated soon, so in some respects it is in your best interests to wait to get the latest upgrades, however minor that they may be.

I had considered the 13" as well, but although it is a great little system, I felt that the c2d processer was several years old and I wanted newer technology, so I got the 15" I5.

18. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

irrelevant unless you consider an 11 or 13 inch Macbook air + an external cd drive

19. size100 macrumors regular

Lots of people do not need a cd-drive and when they do they can network one. For most people they use it to install software and to watch movies.

20. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a nice dell work laptop that I can take home anytime that i want to, so if i have to wait a couple of months to get a refreshed MBP them im ok with this. heck im on my work laptop at home right now and typing on it, its a latitude M4400 or something like that, i can run AutoCAD and Solidworks on my dual screen setup when its docked no problem. if i wasnt so in love with mac i probably would buy the newer version of this laptop for myself

21. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i just got my 13" MBP and im lovin it!!
    microcenter (if you have one nearby) has them for only $999, a killer deal?

but whatever computer you get, make sure you download PREY from preyproject.com

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If they only go to i3 in the 13 inch, Core 2 Duo is better (provided Intel hasn't updated the i3 since extensive tests). The 13 inch has always been the 'value' and so it is likely that the best processor options will not be offered in it. Also, they favor mobility over capability (as does the MBA); if it is capability you want and you are willing to pay-to-play, you want a 15 inch i7.

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I agree, you should wait and see if the newer models appeal to you as they are likely to have many new upgrades.

24. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I really don't understand this. The 15" isn't really very much bigger than the 13" and only 1.1 lbs. heavier.

If you are camping and every ounce counts, I can understand (but bringing a laptop camping isn't really camping:rolleyes:)

If you are on an airplane I understand (every millimeter counts in that case, you have very little room to work with)

But if you have the notebook in your backpack, would you really notice the difference?