MB + HD of TC

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jiiz, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jiiz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to use my old white macbook (2006, early intel) as a media center. The only issue is the broken HD of the macbook.

So I would like to use a partition of my timecapsule as a HD for the macbook. Would this be possible? I have tried connecting them with a "normal" network cable, but that didn't automatically add an external HD to my MB.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

My best advice to you would be to replace the HD inside of the MacBook. It's honestly not that expensive and relatively easy to do. It's a lot less convoluted than trying to boot from a networked drive (which I'm not entirely too sure will even work). Just throw in a 250GB drive (which can be had for $40), reinstall the OS on that hard drive and you're back in business. Or you can upgrade to a 500GB hard drive for $15-20 more.

Also, how do you know that it's the hard drive that's failing on you? It may be a failing logic board that you're actually experiencing, which will likely warrant the purchase of a new machine. What are the symptoms you're experiencing now?

3. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree. You can get a cheap notebook 5400rpm drive all over these days. $30 bucks and you're back in business. Unless it is something else as the post above me mentions.

4. jljue macrumors regular

Hard drive replacement instructions in full color & details are on ifixit.com. Replacing with a hard drive for $30-40 is probably your best bet. :cool: