Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
So, my MB has been living at home. But, I'm about to start taking it out more, and will be taking it with me all over the place when I'm at Uni in a few months.

The other day, I shut the lid with a pen sitting on thekeyboard. The screen wasn't damaged, but the thought that it almost was, and by something so stupid, made me sure I need to insure this thing!

I can get dorm insurance, but I can't get that until I'm in a dorm, and it won't cover spills. I need something that will cover pretty much anything, spills, theft, drops, etc.

www.safeware.com

They seem like the only company in the US that offers this. Can anyone give me their advice as to laptop insurance?

I know homeowners insurance might cover it, but I don't know how that works with a deductable and all that. I just need to get something in the next few days so I don't freak out about carrying this thing on planes and whatnot.

I do not have applecare, but I do have some three year coverage from defects through Circuit City.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I was quoted $90 for $1500 in coverage.

Seems like a good price to me, I think....

I'd probably only keep it through college, once a computer is 4 years old, it's time to think about a new one, especially now as technology is doubling faster and faster. I have 5 gigs of SD card storage for my camera. My brother's old hard drive was 4 gigs. Amazing hwo fast stuff changes!

So, is this company legit? What do you all do for insurance?

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
Will this company actually cover spills and personal damaging? I wouldn't if I owned a company cause when it's time to get a new computer I would just spill some coffee in my keyboard.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
They say they cover accidental damage, things like water spills and drops.

If they can be sure you did i on purpose, that's insurance fraud and they'll sue you for it.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
see that's what would worry me and keep me from doing it... it's all up to them to decide. They would probably never side with you when they can keep their (your) money.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Then I take them to small claims court. Calling to make sure I have the correct spelling and address on the forms for suing someone is a great way to get stuff done :)

ANY company could tell me "oh no, we found that you aren't covered." Applecare could, home insurance, dorm insurance, whatever. But if I have the coverage, I can sue and get them to pay for it in the end. It's cheaper than paying for it myself.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
First off... you'd probably lose more in going to small claims court then you would just buying an entire new setup. I mean the most you would get out of them from court is your money back that you paid them so you can either spend that day working or at court where it would be a 50/50 if you would even get it back.

You're absolutely right that anyone could tell you no to this or that... but the thing is that if my screen just goes dead or my hard drive crashes my apple care will fix it (and have for me)... it is in the contract.
If you spill something though... it is completely up to that company to decide if it were real or you just poured coffee all over your keyboard to get a new computer. It is completely at their discretion to replace it or not. It isn't a clear cut and dry "this happened so we must fix" like it is with applecare.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Yes, it is still up to them. But that's better than nothing. If they try to say I did it on purpose, I argue it. Eventually, I'll get my way. I'm good at documenthing things, so I'll send them photographic proof of exactly what happened, and testimonies from anyone who was around, and some "he's a good person" testimonies to boot. I'll also send them photocopies of all receipts and stuff. If I didn't do it on purpose, then I'll fight it to the death or go broke trying, just because I enjoy it :)

I think I'm going to purchase coverage from them. No other policy I can find will cover what they will cover, neither Applecare nor the Circuit City coverage protect me from theft or spills, and $90 is cheap compared to even the smallest repair charge.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
You apparently have not dealt with many insurance agencies. Get ready for the die trying part. Insurance companies spend more money fighting paying then they do paying. But good luck non the less.
If I were doing this I would do it with someone local. Not someone in another state where insurance laws may differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.