MB LED no longer pulses when in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pseudo7, Feb 12, 2008.

1. pseudo7 macrumors newbie

Noticed this happened after installing 10.5.2. The system seems to be sleeping but the light no longer pulses -- it just stays off. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Deep sleep? I know in 10.4 you had to adjust a setting in NVRAM to make it happen, maybe yours is turned on?

3. pseudo7 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not using safe sleep. I don't think any settings were changed either. Basically the MB's LED pulsed yesterday while using 10.5.1, then I upgraded to 10.5.2 and the light no longer pulses.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

5. pseudo7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope - reset the SMC and the LED still doesn't pulse when in sleep mode.

6. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Sounds like the system isn't really going to sleep. Does the hard drive spin down? Does it get cold after a while?

7. pseudo7 thread starter macrumors newbie

The hard drive does spin down when I close the lid. So I'm pretty sure the system really is going to sleep (I tested that by using the Deep Sleep widget) -- something in my 10.5.2 update just messed up my LED.

8. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Interesting... I just upgraded to 10.5.2 and LED during sleep seems normal. Make sure the unit really does get cold after a while.

Also, does the LED work at all? It should come on solid when the screen turns off (for Energy Saver).

9. pseudo7 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the LED doesn't work at all -- not even when the display is put to sleep. Normally I'd suspect the light itself is defective but I noticed someone on another forum had the same thing happen to their MacBook right after updating to 10.5.2...

10. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I believe the SMC controller chip is responsible for that type of thing. It should be what gets reset if you did the PRAM/NVRAM reset though.

I assume you did the method where you hold a key combination at startup? There used to be a different method. Disconnect from A/C, remove the battery, and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Then try booting from A/C without the battery (and vice versa). Hopefully one of these things will kick it back into gear.

11. pseudo7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, unfortunately, I tried both methods of resetting the SMC. I guess there's not much more I can do but wait and see if more people experience this LED malfunction. I guess it's not that big of a deal as long as the system is still going into sleep mode properly.

Thanks for your help.