MB manufacturing defect- 4 weeks out of applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richj86, Jun 26, 2011.

1. richj86 macrumors newbie

Hey there.

I have a quick question to see if I have a leg to stand on:

My girlfriend got a 2009 refurbed macbook unibody for her birthday last year, bought from the apple online store in May 2010.

Her birthday was in June so she didnt have it until then.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed her screen hinge was quite loose, giving in a bout 2-3 cm of play/ slack.

So we took it to the Milton Keynes Apple store, and the genius took it away to tighten the screws.
    He came back saying that one of the 4 screw holes on the hinge has threaded.

To fix it, a complete case replacement and screen replacement, total £220 ish, as it was 3 weeks out of warranty.

The main reason she didn't drop it in earlier, is because she was doing her final project for her MA, so couldn't afford the downtime.

Now apple are know for excellent CS, but charging 30% of what we bought it for, for a manufacturing defect (how can you thread an internal screw through use?).
    Do I have a complaint to get it fixed, or is it a case of tough luck, have a nice day?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Ta
    Rich

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

By continuing to use it after it first becomes loose. This isn't a manufacturing defect, this is user error. Once the screw first became loose, the movement of the hinge against the loose screw caused it to strip.

You can beg with Apple and see if they'll help. They may or may not. But this definitely isn't a manufacturing defect, it's entirely the fault of the user.

This is why the "I can't afford to be without my computer for a few days" logic doesn't usually work because being without the computer for a few days prevents the repair you really can't afford. If she is at school, there are computers she can use. They may not be Macs, but she can get her paper in a format editable on PC and use those. It may not be nearly as convenient, but it would have saved her the cost of this repair.

Here's the thing: did she have AppleCare or the 1-year warranty? AppleCare is a 3 year warranty, which means it would still be in effect.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Your best bet is to be very nice and appeal to them. They are people too, and can sympathise. Go to the store when it is quiet, when they will have time for you.

If that doesn't work then turn to consumer protection laws. Sale of Goods Act 1979 section 14(2), here. Sometimes the mere mentioned of it will get more cooperation. But don't come off as a jerk! The UK has excellent consumer laws, I very rarely buy extended warranties because of them. If you caused the fault then you are out of luck though.