MB/ MBP out puts high def?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ohaooa, May 29, 2008.

1. ohaooa macrumors newbie

By connecting my MB/MBP to my HDTV (DVI to HDMI) is it possible to watch HD movies running from my mac to to my tv?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes, but some TV's don't like inputs from computers. They can output a standard hi-def signal though.

However, studio HD content isn't really available for the Mac, and iTunes HD rentals are only for AppleTV. So unless you mean personally recorded HD video, or things like HD trailers or public domain HD content, you are kind of out luck for legal content.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If, for some reason, your TV doesn't like HDMI from the computer, just connect to your TV's VGA port (provided it's got one).

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Most VGA ports on TV's are even more picky about what resolutions they will accept, many maxing out at 1024x768. It will almost certainly produce a picture, however. But it certainly won't be 'optimal' compared to what you could get with a properly sized HDMI output.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Well, maybe I'm lucky then, because my Samsung is properly detected and gets sent its native 1360 by 768.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

Samsungs are great TV's :)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Works with most new TVs. You just need the proper cable.

Some OLD TVs require you to set certain display and refresh settings manually to work. Some rare old tvs don't work well with any computer output.

8. ohaooa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, your speedy responses really help.

One more question though:

Does the Mscbook (not pro) also work in this setup giving me HD on my tv?

9. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Seems like you would need to use the mini-DVI to VGA, then depending on the input resolutions for VGA on your tv would determine if it could put out HD quality. What HD content are you getting off your computer, the macbook/pro can't play HD movies...its readable, they just don't have a supported hd video player...

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Macbook Pro has Dual-Link DVI allowing it to support HD resolutions up to 2560x1600 on digital and at least 1920x1200 on analog (probably 1920x1440). This is only in 'clamshell mode' where the laptop is closed and an external mouse/keyboard is employed.

The Macbook is capable of displaying its native resolution of 1280 x 800; so essentially 720 progressive when in clamshell mode.

11. Smgkw macrumors member

Which macbook pro are you talking about?? the 15" or the 17" or both? I am planning to buy one, so is there a certain option or spec that i need to order for mine ? or do all MBP play 720p HD in clamshell mode?

12. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

They all do, check the specs on apples sites. The 15.4" has a native 1440X900 17" comes in two different resolutions one standard one hi-res, both higher than 1440X900. They all can do it, im not sure about the outputs in clamshell mode, can that poster direct us where to get that info?

Nevermind: When you hook up your MBP to an external display, it gives you the list of supported resolution, theres a lot.