MB & MBP owners with InvisibleSheild - A few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcl, Feb 22, 2008.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

New MBP owner, looking into scratch protection

- How easy is it to take off / reapply, if MBP needs servicing - or do you just send it into apple repair with it still on your MBP ?

- Overtime, does InvisibleShield discolor at all ?

- Anyone wish they had never put InvisibleSheild on their MAC ?

2. NNelson macrumors newbie

I can answer your questions, but I actually work for the invisibleSHIELD people, so please keep in mind that I am obviously going to recommend our products :)

- If your laptop needs servicing, you would either have to remove the invisibleSHIELD or the Apple techs would do it for you after you sent it in. This has been our experience, anyway. Once removed, you can't replace the film, unfortunately, but we do have a lifetime replacement warranty so you don't have to worry about it

- The invisibleSHIELD isn't supposed to discolor over time, but sometimes buildup from skin oils can darken it. It helps to clean it every once in a while - usually just a wipedown with a damp cloth.

- As an "insider," you can probably guess my answer on this one :) I will say that I love the stuff and I have it on all of my gadgets...

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I was at this years Macworld and InvisibleShield was there and my friends were buying them for their iPhones but I would never put that plasticy stuff on my notebook computer. It feels like a clear coat which is fine for the iPhone but not for a notebook.

4. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

I am a firm believer that this product is awesome and would recommend it to anyone who wants to protect their investments but I have noticed that the covering does discolor but I don't know if it is from age where from holding it in your hands the dirty oil seeps into the plastic or if it just naturally ages, wither way, it has lifetime warranty. It seems something I have, needs replacing, I end up buying it for something else I have and then ask invisible shield to ship the replacement shield in with my new order and send back the old discolored one.

Here is the picture of my iPod this has been on for two years and am very proud of the way it has handled the only place you can tell from the discoloration is the edges and corners

[​IMG]

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

While IS is a great product, I'm not sure I would cover my notebook with it. That being said, I use IS products on all of my video production gear as well as my personal stuff like GPS' and similar small electronics/photo equipment.

It wears very well, has a lifetime guarantee, and does a great job of protecting clear surfaces like screens and viewfinders.

MacDann

6. PhotoBill macrumors newbie

I installed the standard kit on my MBP. That is the lid, the wrist rest and the trackpad. I travel with my laptop a bit and it ends up in motor homes, hotel rooms, and in and out of a photo/laptop backpack. I thought it would be good to at least protect the finish of the lid. My last few laptops also ended up with wear marks on the wrist rest, so I thought what the heck.

It was pretty easy to install, and seems very durable (I think it is the same stuff they make invisible car bras from). The one thing I do not like is that my finger does not slide across the trackpad as smoothly as it did before application. I'm waiting a little longer to see if I get used to it, if not, I'm removing it from the trackpad....

Bill

7. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

i'm not too keen on having the glossy/shiny finish of the IS on the MBP, i like the metal finish of the MBP. i hope you guys offer a none glossy IS for it.

8. blackbelt macrumors regular

i just got a new MBP and was thinking about getting the IS for it. I have it on my ipod Touch and i love it, but i was afraid that it would seal the bottom too much and it would overheat. The sales person at the apple store said that you should only get a case that has ventilation on the bottom.

Anyone have any experience with it overheating?

9. NNelson macrumors newbie

blackbelt, I actually have an iPod touch and have installed an invisibleSHIELD on it. Our designers made it so it would leave the bottom open to ventilation and connection - it isn't something you need to remove in order to access the ports. Besides the protective value, the invisibleSHIELD seems to diminish the appearance of fingerprints on the touch screen (at least that was my experience).

10. blackbelt macrumors regular

thanks for the response.

I think that i may have worded my question wrong. I am very happy with the IS on my iPod Touch, and am not worried about that. I am worried about putting one on my new MBP. The bottom of the computer gets hot, and i did not want to risk trapping the heat with the IS.

Does anyone have any experience with the IS on the MPB?:confused:

11. matperk macrumors 6502

I ordered one this weekend. Should be here mid-week. I hope it works out well. I will post back here when I've used it for a few days.

12. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm going to buy one for my next MacBook Pro. I especially want it for the wrist rests.

13. blackbelt macrumors regular

Why? Do the wrist rests wear a lot?:confused:

14. NNelson macrumors newbie

No, sorry, you were perfectly clear. I was just a little bit TOO eager to respond and didn't read carefully. :)

I don't have personal experience with the invisibleSHIELD causing the MacBook to overheat, but my friend has had one on his laptop (I think it is a MacBook Pro) for over a year and hasn't had any problems.